UGH! Suddenly now, sound starts and stops working randomly!

dsc106

3 posts in this topic

See my signature for system specs. I'm running onboard Realtek ALC850 with the tubgirl 10.4.9 release, no extra drivers or anything, has been working perfectly (except for 5.1) right out of the box. Today I installed iLife and iWork.

Don't know if it is related, but now sound will come and go intermittently. I'll open a quicktime movie. No sound. Open again. No sound. Keep clicking around, starting stopping, turning volume up and down and then suddenly I hear the little "click" from when you turn the volume up. Yay, its back. Play some iTunes, play some quicktime, got sound. Then suddenly for no reason, sound is gone again. No iTunes music, no quicktime. It seems to happen not during playback, but only when I start/stop something or start a new file. Sometimes going into system info to look at the sound properties and then starting the quicktime file again, or not even restarting it but just hitting "play" again will help and sound comes back... but then sometimes it doesn't, so could just be coincedence.

Never happen before this.... GRRRRR... what is up?? Any ideas?

PS, it's not hardware related, well maybe it is on the motherboard end?, but at least not with speakers of headphones. I've tried different hardware plugged in (headphone and my speakers).

PSS, I've also noticed if I run out sound, if I pause the file/song/whatever, then turn the volume all the way down by hitting the volume down key, then back up, then hit play again, it seems the sound comes back. But this is seriously ridiculous, especially when everything was working fine before!

I wonder if Garageband messed something up with the iLife install? Or one of the other apps?

Unfortunately I have no idea. I experienced the same problem with the onboard sound of the A8N SLI Deluxe. I am not able to squizze out any sound with the correct modifications of the info.plist file.

CU

Scatman

See my signature for system specs. I'm running onboard Realtek ALC850 with the tubgirl 10.4.9 release, no extra drivers or anything, has been working perfectly (except for 5.1) right out of the box. Today I installed iLife and iWork.

Don't know if it is related, but now sound will come and go intermittently. I'll open a quicktime movie. No sound. Open again. No sound. Keep clicking around, starting stopping, turning volume up and down and then suddenly I hear the little "click" from when you turn the volume up. Yay, its back. Play some iTunes, play some quicktime, got sound. Then suddenly for no reason, sound is gone again. No iTunes music, no quicktime. It seems to happen not during playback, but only when I start/stop something or start a new file. Sometimes going into system info to look at the sound properties and then starting the quicktime file again, or not even restarting it but just hitting "play" again will help and sound comes back... but then sometimes it doesn't, so could just be coincedence.

Never happen before this.... GRRRRR... what is up?? Any ideas?

PS, it's not hardware related, well maybe it is on the motherboard end?, but at least not with speakers of headphones. I've tried different hardware plugged in (headphone and my speakers).

PSS, I've also noticed if I run out sound, if I pause the file/song/whatever, then turn the volume all the way down by hitting the volume down key, then back up, then hit play again, it seems the sound comes back. But this is seriously ridiculous, especially when everything was working fine before!

I wonder if Garageband messed something up with the iLife install? Or one of the other apps?

well a wierd thing that ive noticed is when i use itunes and other music and movie players i always have sound...but when i installed and tried to use joost it always changes the sound setting to some random output channels and what not....id try openeing a program that is giving you problems, like garage band and seeing what it says in the audio and midi setting as far as the channels and the frequency and what not.