Beware Maxtor Diadmond Max 10

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Just to inform you all, I've struggled a long time to install OS X on my computer on either one of my two 250GB SATA diamondmax 10. I never managed to do it and could not understand why.

I bought a 300GB SATA Seagate a few month ago cause i was needing space and decided to set it as my system drive and re-install OS X along with XP.

The installation went well but I could not see none of the Maxtor drives whatever I tried (GUI disk utility would just lock, command line disk util just wouldn't see them).

I this point I wasn't sure it was the maxtor drives. Until a bought another Seagate drive (identical one) and it just worked.

But whenever I plug in one of the maxtor, it just won't see it and furthermore won't shutdown properly.

The drives are plugged on an ICH8 controller on a P965 Platinum set in AHCI.

I hope it helps someone.

PS: I wonder why I just lost so much time installing OS X, I wanted to give it a try and I know now I just hate it.

The drives are working fine under XP and Vista, I tested them thoroughly and did not see anything wrong.

I tried them both as SATA1 and SATA2, they never worked under OS X.

I know it's weird!

PS:I stopped already, just tought i'd let you all know my little problem

I have the same problem: 3 DiamondMax 10, 1 not supported by Mac OSX (6V300F0). OSX say S.M.A.R.T not supported but there are no

problem with it in VISTA and Win Xp. I think it due to the P965 chipset because with my P5GD1 it is wonderfully recognized.

I have the same problem: 3 DiamondMax 10, 1 not supported by Mac OSX (6V300F0). OSX say S.M.A.R.T not supported but there are no

problem with it in VISTA and Win Xp. I think it due to the P965 chipset because with my P5GD1 it is wonderfully recognized.

So its the chipset, not the drive.

S.M.A.R.T support does NOT effect whether the drive will work with any OS.