Boot Camp and Sound

jxtpstn

4 posts in this topic

So I just bought this brand new, 2.4GHz Core2Duo MacBook Pro (4GB RAM, good stuff), and I nearly immediately installed Boot Camp. It took a few tries to get it to work (drivers CD didn't want to work so well the first few times, and comp froze/trackpad and mouse refused to cooperate), but I got it working with Win XP Pro. I wasn't sure if it was a problem, but it's probably good to mention that one file, called like ariella-something.dll or something like that wouldn't install, so I just skipped it.

When I finally got it working, I immediately noticed there was no sound. I checked the volume, but there was no volume. What? Yeah, there was no volume. I mean, nothing. Not mute. Just none to begin with. I went to the control panel. It said, No Audio Device Detected. I was like, wtf? I looked it up. I figured it was a driver problem. I tried to find the drivers that would make it work (I've done like 5 different ones, including two different Intel-backed ones, and one from someplace called like softplay or something), but nothing worked.

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

ok, so a bit of an update:

i repartitioned the hard drive (the original one turned out to be too small for my uses), and reinstalled the drivers. again, there is no audio device recognized. i have the latest version of boot camp and everything... i just dont get it. any help is much appreciated.

EDIT: just out of curiosity, is anyone else having this issue or a similar on,e or am i alone in my pain?

POST EDIT: I got it to work (finally). The trick was that you had to go into the device manager (under control panel -> system -> hardware), and go under system devices. Towards the botom of that list, there will be a PCI device that has a yellow "!" next to it, kind of in the icon. Right click it, and update the driver (do not use an cd or anything). Viola, sound.