A few questions.

SpexFox

3 posts in this topic

I've just started getting interested in making a hackitosh computer out of this laptop. I have enough computer experiance to do this, for the most part, but I don't quite understand part of these instructions:

http://www.profit42.com/index.php/2007/04/...indows-machine/

in particular, this part:

11. Copy chain0 to the root of the Vista partition (mostly C:/)

12. Press WIN+R and type ‘cmd’. And type:

bcdedit /copy {current} /d “Mac OS X”

bcdedit /enum active

bcdedit /set {ID OF YOUR OSX ENTRY} PATH \chain0

What exacally is chain0 and how do I copy it to the root Vista parition? Also, what do I put in place of {current} and how do I know the ID of my OS X entry?

For dual-boot im using the Darwin Bootloader that comes with osx. For using it, simply install Vista first and OSX after that (Vista in Primary Partition, OSX on a logical Partition on same HDD) then you can use Darwin Bootloader to choose which OS should be booted. I did this with WinXP but i guess it should also work with Vista. Just give it a try :)

Cheers,

aKy

The only thing that makes me nervous about that is knowing Vista has a sensative way of booting, and don't want to toy with it to much. However, I have a feeling this would work. But does Darwin's bootloader automatically know Vista/XP is there and ask which to use, or is there some toying I have to do in OS X?