Linspire, Microsoft in Linux-related deal

Alessandro17

3 posts in this topic

Updated June 14] -- Linspire Inc. has announced an agreement to license voice-enabled instant messaging, Windows Media 10 CODECs, and TrueType font technologies from Microsoft for its Linux distribution. Additionally, Microsoft will offer protection to Linspire customers against possible violations of Microsoft patents by Linux.

In his June 14 weekly Linspire Letter, Linspire CEO Kevin Carmony stated, "This agreement will offer several advantages to Linspire Linux users not found anywhere else, such as Windows Media 10 support, genuine Microsoft TrueType fonts, Microsoft patent coverage, improved interoperability with Microsoft Windows computers, and so on."

This is a double whammy I got from Linspire. Years ago I supported them financially by buying a lifetime membership ($100-they needed the money for a litigation against Microsoft).

When they decided to go Ubuntu, they never asked for our (lifetime members') opinion.

Now they go in bed with Microsoft and again, I learn it from a Linux site.

Shame on them!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

=(

Although, we could look at this as an opportunity. It could drive Linux popularity up a little bit, and when people start looking for better alternatives to MSLinux, they'll have real options.

Can't say I ever tried Linspire before though....