Finally giving up OSX86 - Dual screen problem unsolvable.

darthosx86

8 posts in this topic

I have a EAX1950XTX and there is just no way to get this card working with my two screens. I tried every driver that is out there and only jaccool's driver manages to make everything working (every other driver makes my computer not able to boot back into the system) ------ besides the fact that it makes my graphics card, go on 100% fan speed Constantly. Which is not acceptable, cause it sounds like a turbine from a aeroplan next to my desk.

There is apparently no fan control option, I'd tried smcFan control, but didn't work - so after reinstalling OSX86, 8 times the last 48 hours i give up.

Ohhh yeahhh, one more thing........... Since the beginning of OSX86, if people remember, it all started at nakfull Propaganda ( I even safed a copy of the homepage as pdf, just to remember the great time we had make OSx86 work on pc's) and after that with onmac.net, there has allways been onnnnnne thing that i was convinced about (although I really have no idea )- LOL :

Macgirl (a.k.a. Alejandra) is a hot OSx86 chick

I am not sure, in one post some guy had the same card as I (Asus EAX1950XTX) and he acctualy said that it is not the same as X1950XTX - of cause the GPU chip is identical but asus might have put some extra into it - like their Splendid technology.

Anyways, as stated I can get Dual Display working with Jccool's driver, But my GPU fan begins to go on 100% fan speed CONSTANTLY - which is very very noisy.

Also the post doesn't mention anything about this guy's fan - cause maybe he simply changed his Ati fan with another (which solves the problem), or maby he is using the Motherboard fan controller as his controler for his GPU fan - which also solves the problem (fan speed remains constant also on heavy load, which is dangerous when playing games)

Not a chance, I want the best and got the best. Everything is perfect on my computer, everything to the smallest detail, even got CL3 ram (had to wait 3 weeks to get them imported)

Not a chance, I want the best and got the best. Everything is perfect on my computer, everything to the smallest detail, even got CL3 ram (had to wait 3 weeks to get them imported)

or maybe install a silent fan? lots of the original fans are not the best ones :thumbsup_anim:

That of cause is an option, which I will consider. I have been really satisfied with the one that came with the card , ATI used a really low noise fan. Also another fan must have it's own, hardware controlled fan speed adjustment ( a software solution probably won't work on osx86).

• 5 months later...

I know this is a seriously old topic, but thought I'd share my recent experience with it...

I have two X1950XT cards, both same PCI device ids, one of which boots and fan speed goes to low as it should, and the other one I installed went to 100% fan speed and stayed that way, which I wholly agree is not doable (ridiculously loud).

In the machine that fan speed was an issue, if I boot into windows first (on cold boot), the fan speed drops to normal low speed once the ATI drivers hit the card. Then if I warm reboot back into osx86 (whether tiger or leo), fan speed remains low and at normal.

I haven't a clue as to why this is...

Now my issue is that with leopard, I am experiencing the occasional horizontal screen artifacts/lines as discussed ad nauseum by the mac pro X1900 community, which is apparently that Leopard runs the card too hot and the fans don't kick on... haha, one extreme to the other.

Anyway, my $0.02

For me, its more important to get the best OS working, than getting best hardware working to the smallest details with a crappy O$. Its the OS that give you the overall experience in computing. Get a quiet fan or another display card, and be done with it would be my approach. :)