Finder won't load

chevy2410

1 post in this topic

Hi all,

Well for almost a year now I have had a fully working OSX system. I started with 10.4.6 and then upgraded to 10.4.7 and then to 10.4.8. I have had 10.4.8 for quite sometime and thought I would upgrade to 10.4.9, but didn't want to hose a perfectly good system. I decided to D\L the new 10.4.9 install dvd and install it on a second HD I had. The install seem to go fine. When it came the "transfer files from another partition" I thought I would transfer all files from my 10.4.8 system and I would be good to go. Well it seems my 10.4.9 system doesn't seem be very stable or I have the wrong kernel or something. Anyway, I decided to go back to my 10.4.8 system and when I rebooted and choose the 10.4.8 HD it all booted fine. I got to the login screen and logged in. As my desktop was coming up I noticed that the menu bar wasn't coming up. In fact nothing was showing up other that my desktop wallpaper. No menu bar, no icons and no dock. It seems the finder didn't load.

How can I get my finder to load? Is it a matter of replacing a kext file or something like that? Could it be that after the transfer OSX set that drive to not be a boot drive or something?

Please help..

Chevy

Ok now I just tried a reboot to the 10.4.8 disk and all I get is the grey screen with the apple and the spinning thing below and it keeps going. It won't even boot to the login window. It must have something to do with the login window.app. Is there a way that I could just trash it? Does OSX just rebuild it if it gets trashed? Can I replace it? If so how to do it?

Chevy