SATA optical drive works... then doesn't

badge

3 posts in this topic

I posted about this in my P35 thread, but now it has its own thread.

My Pioneer SATA optical drive works fine initially, but if a disc is left in the drive, it seems to spool down and OS X decides there is no longer an optical drive attached. The drive itself becomes unresponsive, and can only be brought back to life by shutting down (not restarting). This issue persists accross multiple installs with multiple kernels. I can't imagine the drive is defective since it works in Vista, and works fine in OS X until it spins down. Any ideas?

I'm very sorry to say this, but SATA Optical drives aren't quality. There are just too many chipset incompatibilities and odd quirks to expect support or reliable operation. OS X is not known to support SATA Optical, so perhaps you could post your experience in the HCLs linked in my sig?

I hate to recommend a P-ATA optical drive, but they are around 30$ each, and the cables are essentially free....sorry. I wanted a SATA optical drive until I found out about the troubles. DVDs can't use the full bandwidth of PATA, and less airflow restriction in a PC case isn't worth the hassle.

• 2 months later...
I'm very sorry to say this, but SATA Optical drives aren't quality. There are just too many chipset incompatibilities and odd quirks to expect support or reliable operation. OS X is not known to support SATA Optical, so perhaps you could post your experience in the HCLs linked in my sig?

I hate to recommend a P-ATA optical drive, but they are around 30$ each, and the cables are essentially free....sorry. I wanted a SATA optical drive until I found out about the troubles. DVDs can't use the full bandwidth of PATA, and less airflow restriction in a PC case isn't worth the hassle.

I don't think thats the case. I have a plextor sata DVD rw, supposed to be one of the better ones on the market, and I had the same problem as he was talking about. I have a P35 chipset and used UpHuck 1.4r2 and chose the ICHR8,7,6 ect option when installing OS X and that seemed to fix the CD/DVD ejection problem. Hope this helps.