How to replace kexts?

cpu killer

7 posts in this topic

Can someone please enlighten me on how to effecitlvely replace kexts in OSx86? I'm not sure how the whole proccess goes and I might be needing to do it a few times until I get something to work. I'd appreciate a guide or something quite comprehensive, I know you need to replace them in terminal using sudo and then chmod/chown them, but I'm not sure of the exact procedure. Thanks in advance :)

same here, I've tried unsuccessfully on many occassions to install the via rhine ethernet driver. I've searched and researched on countless times but I still have to manually reinstall on each boot to get on the net.

I'm obviously doing something fundamentally wrong.

Firstly, and obviously, get the new .kext you need.

2) Go to System/Library/Extensions in Finder

3) Put the new .kext file in that folder. If you are replacing an old one with the same filename, move (not copy) the old one to the desktop, and put the new one in it's place

4) Go into Disk Utility (Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility). Select your OS X volume and click Repair Permissions.

5) Reboot.

Firstly, and obviously, get the new .kext you need.

2) Go to System/Library/Extensions in Finder

3) Put the new .kext file in that folder. If you are replacing an old one with the same filename, move (not copy) the old one to the desktop, and put the new one in it's place

4) Go into Disk Utility (Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility). Select your OS X volume and click Repair Permissions.

5) Reboot.

Not forgetting that we need to remove Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache in /System/Library :D

Well, if you want to split hairs, Sabr :pirate2:

Well, I always thought that if you don't remove those files, then the kext's aren't automatically reloaded at boot. :pirate2:

- Sb.