Zepto Znote 6224W... anyone tried this one?

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I'm shopping around for a new notebook, and am quite interested in the new MacBook pros; however, I feel the 15 inch form factor is still a bit too much for me. The other notebook I'm considering is the new Zepto Znote 6224W, which is a really powerful 14 inch notebook that seems to give the best value for the money at the moment.

The great news is that the 6224W ships with the same graphics chip as the new MBP (the 8600M GT), albeit with more VRAM, so QE/CI should not be too much of a problem, but I also know that some people seem to have had problems running OS X on Zepto hardware in the past (ie sound not working, etc).

So basically, I'd like to know if anyone here tried to install OS X on a 6224W (or its white brother, the 6324W)? If so, how did it go?

Thanks!

Not very helpful but I still can't get why anyone would risk it and have to spend lots of time with problems by buying a new machine which isn't a mac even thought they do wanna run OS X.

Doesn't compute over here. If you want to run OS X on an old machine I'm all with you, but if you are going to buy a new one why not just buy something you know works? And also supports the company whose OS you are so desperatly after?

Well, I thought that this was what this forum was all about, but anyway, here's a few reasons for you:

1) The Macbook pro is too bulky for me. The Zepto is both smaller (14 inch vs 15 inch) and lighter (by about 1/2 pound). The smaller (13.3 inch) offering from apple is severely crippled video-wise with its GMA 950 graphics chip, so this is a no go for me.

2) At similar configurations, the Zepto is a good 200$ cheaper than the Macbook Pro, and has tons of configuration options; if configured with a slower CPU and less RAM than the base Macbook Pro (but with the same graphics chip), you can get it for more than 500$ less than the Macbook Pro. You can even configure it without an OS, if you already own Windows or plan on installing Linux on it or something. Apple simply does not provide such an option, and essentially forces its customers into repeatedly purchasing the OS again and again, every time they buy a new Mac.

3) This is a purely personal opinion, and is indeed a matter of debate, but I tend to disagree with Apple's way of locking people into having to buy both the hardware and the software from them. Now I'm not saying that Apple does not have the right to do so or anything like that; but I do appreciate the efforts of people unlocking Apple's great software, in a very similar way that others have unlocked the full power of the original xbox, or the PSP, for instance, and allowed these machines to run unsigned software and do so much more than they were intended for.

Now don't get me wrong, the Macbook Pro is a great machine, and in fact, at the moment, only Zepto managed to pack the same kind of power in a smaller form factor. Frankly, I am not quite decided yet... and if tomorrow morning Apple manages to cram the same graphics chip inside their 13.3 Macbooks, you can trust me that I'll be the first one lining up at the Apple shop.