Sibelius 5 released today!

yoda75

4 posts in this topic

Top notch notation software Sibelius has released version 5 today. New features include redesigned mixer with VST/AU support, panorama playback (shows staves in one continuous line like DAW's instead of just page view) and intel mac support. I don't know how many of us here use notation software but this is great news for those of us that do!

Sibelius is awesome. If you know music notation then it is super easy to write down your ideas and arrangements without having to lug around a midi piano keyboard controller. It's also great if you just want to hone your skills in reading/writing music. I know how to read music just fine (my sight reading skills aren't up to par unfortunately but that's another issue altogether) so I use Sibelius to write sheet music and then export my arrangements as midi files into my DAW where I record my audio parts. I actually find it quicker than doing it all in a sequencer. This way I have my backing tracks ready to be published and recording flawlessly without needing to learn how to do it on a piano keyboard then quantizing etc. The other advantage to me working like this, is that I will have professional quality sheet music to any part if I decide to redo any parts with live musicians

As of last year, Avid owns both Sibelius and Digidesign (makers of Pro Tools software) so I think there will be great integration between the two. I'm really excited about where the two apps are going to go.