It works GREAT, except nothing works (display?).

greyarea

6 posts in this topic

Please, I need some advice.  I can't get iWork or iLife to work, and despite the oh-so-elegant GUI, there's no point if I can't do anything.  (I was going to buy a Mac instead of this machine, but they were late getting the Intels into the stores here, and I had a project to complete.)  Any help would be most welcome.

I suspect it is the macvidia kext, but I don't know how to determine whether my QuadroFX1400 supports CE/CI (whatever that means) or how to make changes to get the advanced features of the card. The qfx1400 card shows up on one of the HCL's, so it should and does work generally.  It's at the low end of mid-level workstation cards, so while it can't play games as well as many GeForce cards, it should more than match the technical requirments of a Mac system.

Installation notes:

-I installed Jas 10.4.8, which ran okay. I found only two other users with fx1400's, and they both got Titan to work first time. I couldn't get Titan or natit to work, but MacVidia did the trick finally.

-Due to a silly mistake on my part (during all those reboots), the system became flakey and wouldn't mount anything anymore. iWork never did work.

-Tried a number of solutions, then decided to go up to 10.4.9 (Tubgirl, I think), which installed without a hitch, solved most the bugs, except iWork and iLife still won't work.

Hardware Overview: Mobo: A8N-SLI; Processor Name: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+, Processor Speed: 2.41 GHz, L2 Cache (per processor): 1 MB

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 HTT SSE3

Memory: 2 GB, Bus Speed: 800 MHz

A8NNVIDIA Quadro FX 1400: Chipset Model: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400; Bus: PCIe; VRAM (Total): 128 MB; Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de); Device ID: 0x00ce; Revision ID: 0x00a2; Displays:

FPD2185W: Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz; Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

(I don't think the System Profiler is accurate. Is ther an independant/accurate way of determining card specs? Can Quartz be 'forced' on, and Core Image?)

I thought I was using Tubgirl (Is it hard to find a good copy, or is it just me?). How can I tell for sure which version I have. The image I downloaded said 10.4.9 AMD. (I did a fresh install of 10.4.9 to minimize variables (no update)). During the install there were almost no options for components to install. I had the same problem as last time - used -s to go in and remove video kexts so I could finish boot. Tried Titan and Natit, with no luck. Also tried Natit Un 1.0 pkg, but it seemed to make no difference at all.

The same goes for kexts - which is which. I can't find anything to know what the latest version is, and which version I have. Many of the kexts were made a year ago?!

Okay, I downloaded Tubgirl, spliced in the 10.4.9 file, and the MD5 numbers all match. I installed it and got the forcedeth.kext running (gave me a bit of trouble). Now I'm after Titan.

Questions:

1. The Titan wiki doesn't mention any other kext except Titan.kext, so what's with all the other kexts? If I don't have a GeForce card, do I need to bother with the GeForce kexts?

2. Instructions for Titan vary (a lot). My latest understanding is that I have to modify three kexts with the FX1400 device id (0x00ce), but install about 8 different kexts (NVDAResman.kext, GeForce*, NVDANV*Hal.kext, Titan). The Hal30 kext is mentioned as one to modify, but one article suggested that if it doesn't work, try modifying the Hal20 or Hal10 files. Is that so?

3. I've been told that Titan is the way to go. How do the macVidia and Nitat projects compare?

I hate to ask dumb questions, but the endless guessing in the dark is starting to get to me, and there are many shopping lists, but few explanations.