Building a new system -- will it work?

5 posts in this topic

I'm building a new budget system designed for OSx86 10.4.8. At the moment, I'm considering the following hardware:

New:

case: Rosewill R230-P-BK Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower - $17.99

mobo: ASUS P5L-VM 1394 LGA 775 Intel 945G Micro ATX - $75.99

cpu: Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Allendale 1.8GHz LGA 775 - $114.50

memory: Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel - $75.99

cpu fan: Rosewill RCX-Z3 92mm Ball CPU Cooler - $29.00

dvd: LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with 12X DVD-RAM write LightScribe - $33.99

Already own:

several IDE hard drives

Shipping: $25.86

Total: $361.45

How does this hardware look? I didn't include a video card because from what I've read, the onboard video on this mobo works right out of the box.

Can you think of anything I'm missing? Do I need a separate heatsink?

Thanks!

I decided to save my money and use a spare PC that I already had. Here is my hardware list:

Hp Pavillion 505n (or 515n, no sure)

Celeron 2.2gz (socket 478)

Mobo: Tritan or some other generic name. I can't find BIOS updates for the life of me. You shouldn't need any though.

Generic Sony dvd-rw drive

~750mb ram

80gig IDE HD

PCI geforce fx 5200

1280x1024 lcd

At the moment, EVERYTHING is working perfectly. It's an older computer, so the xBench stats are a bit lower than I'd like. But for a free mac, it can't be beat. It's definitely fast enough for me to do my web development and graphic design on.

Here is how th install process went:

Installed via DVD 10.4.7 (Jas), checking the two Intel patches needed. After the OS finished installing, I realized that I didn't have support for CI/QE, so I downloaded the Natit drivers 1.0. Upon restarting, the boot sequence would hang.

So, I popped in the 10.4.8 (Jas) dvd and upgraded to 4.8. After I rebooted, everything was working perfectly.

Here are the results of my Xbench run.

optimus_bench.zip