Won't boot from external USB Drive

vadimr

3 posts in this topic

I installed OSx86 on my P5B-E /w C2D E6600 and it runs fine, I need to install another copy on an external usb drive to hack Apple TV. I have an IDE PATA drive that I connected to 2 different IDE to SATA converters, went through the entire setup, formatted the drive, installed everything as I did on my directly connected SATA drive but after reboot it never loads. It starts to boot and the cursor blinks once then jumps down like 3-4 lines and that is it, all I get is a black screen with the cursor 4 lines down. I even tried to install using IDE to SATA converter and the results were identical. It doesn't want to boot no matter what from either ide to usb or ide to sata but while installing the disk utility sees it correctly and formats it fine. But never boots. What could be the problem?

P.S: I tried this on another setup some P4 system with older asus mobo and the results were identical.

Here we go again !

This is a typical problem when you install on a external USB drive. The Darwin bootloader fails to install on it.

If I understand it correctly, you already have a working OsX86 on you internal drive. I suggest you just clone your internal drive to your external drive and then it should boot.

Use Clonetool Hatchery for this task: http://nicemac.com/index.php?board=27.0

Read carefully: install OSx86_pframe and Hatchery H1, v1.0.9. as described on this website.

Succes, AntarcticP