Looking for a motherboard

8 posts in this topic

Okay, I've been sifting through the wiki and the forums for a couple days and I can't find a definitive answer to this one.

I'm looking for the best, least expensive, mATX LGA 775 motherboard to run OSx86 on. I've recently come into a system with a 3.0HT P4 LGA775 processor, enough ram and hard drive to run OSx86 (the system in my sig sadly went back to a Windoze box) decently. I tried uphucks 10.4.9 on the board in it now, and it all installs fine, but after boot i get System /apple.boot.plist was not found, or something like that. Everything I've read points to the controllers on the board for IDE and SATA and I haven't been able to find a fix so I'm trying to find a cheap decent board.

All I really need is SATA, network, and audio, video would be a plus but with things like Natit I can find a video card for it.

Any suggestions that wont break my bank? I was trying to stay near 50 - 75 bucks.

Thanks moarfish, i will keep that one in mind, i managed to get the GMA900 video on this board working, and I happened to have a Realek nic laying here that was OSx86 compatible, then I bought one of the Turtle Beach USB Audio cards from work that also happened to be OSx86 compatible, but I would really like to go to an all onboard solution, so I may grab one of those. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I have made good experiances with a cheap ASRock Conroe954G-DVI Board (69,- in Germany). GMA950 Video, Sound (stereo only) and everything else (except onboard NIC) works out of the Box and the NIC with a little bit tweaking. I´m running 10.4.9 and 8.9.1 Kernel with it without problems. Dual Display mode should work (i herad so, did not try it yet). I´m impressed about it.

The best you can go for is the Asus P5-LD2 VM. Everything works out of the box except the audio which can be fixed using Taruga's AppleHDA & the video which is GMA950 based so it can be easily fixed.