GMA950 on DELL Laptop?

okonvick

8 posts in this topic

D520 with intel gma950 graphix and have installed jas osx 10.4.8. The system runs fine, but when i run some game, i get horrible fps. I ran Battlefield 1942 singleplayer demo on lowest resoluton&details and got like 1 or 2 fps. It was running it wery well on medium details on Win XP, so i just dunno if theres something wrong with the gfx drivers or what ... please help.

I absolutely don't understand what you mean.

The GMA 950 isn't a graphic card, it's just a video chipset.

It is not meant to run games... excepted maybe Quake III

It was running it wery well on medium details on Win XP, so i just dunno if theres something wrong with the gfx drivers or what ... please help.

Is it the GMA950 that is running BF correctly under XP ? It can't be... Or you have another video card !

well, it was running it on xp quite well, and it was even capable of running counter-strike source on medium details 1440x900 with like 20 fts ... i really think i hvae this card, anyway, i think its the only one that is being installed into Latitude D520's.

I had forgoten that BF1942 has been released on mac ! My bad !

Ok, so I'm gonna try to explain why BF1942 runs slower under osx86 than XP.

It's very simple.

BF1942 for PC is a Direct X game

BF1942 for Mac is an Open GL game

The GMA 950 is more optimised for Direct X than Open GL, so that's why BF1042 runs better under XP than osx86

You'll noticed that with a loooooot of games.

As I told you, the GMA 950 is not meant to run games.

Try Quake III, Call of Duty. They should run fine. Maybe Warcraft III too.

Be sure to have enough RAM, because the GMA 950 is using it, so quit all applications before running the game.

I have a 7600GS passive cooled from XFX for sell, if you want !