OSX performance

xual

5 posts in this topic

Guys I'm new to the whole OSX86 experience. I have an acer aspire 5610 laptop which I'm going to use as a test subject. Can I ask how fast does OSX86 perform compaired to it running on a mac book.

Speaking as a software engineer, in theory it should be more or less the same. Its the same intel based hardware, and its probably a less complicated version of the OSX. I've read some perfmormance tests on other threads but with no point of reference it doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm a bit nervous about it all but if it works I will be thrilled. Just am anxious about the thought of blundering during the process

OSX86 performs very well compared to a genuine Mac OS X !

Lot of us have compared their iHack to a Mac Pro, search the forum using google instead than the search function of the forum because it sucks.

I don't know what your Acer 5610 has in his guts, but if he has a supported video card, SSE3 (if you only have SSE2, there will be a performance drop...), enough ram (at least 1gb, 2gb would be better if it's a dualcore, OSX is DDR hungry) and something a bit faster than a 5400rpm HDD (lot of small files loaded all the times), you should be pleased to see that it works like a charm, and quite speedy !

I guess that if the hardware is very similar that the performance should be about the same. The only thing I could offer would be to run a few tests on my 2Ghz, 2GBRam MacBook (newest version) so you can compare them to your machine.

Cheers,

hecker

I have a 1.66 centrino duo, 2gb of DDr2 pc5300 677Mhz ram, 7200 rpm 60GB hardisk.

The only worry I have is the wireless chip, the sound, and maybe the onboard intel graphics. I tried putting a version of XP pro onto that laptop and it stopped half way with a blue screen saying it didn't support my graphics adapter.

So I'm a bit anxious with the mac. but once I get it running and maybe cubase sx3, ableton live 6, and reason 3.0. I'll be a happy camper. If its a stable and quick machine then It will do well for live performance. Even though I have only music stuff on it and never use it on the internet, and its instaled updated defragged and the files are never altered on it. It can still {censored} up sometimes.. You cannot understand the embarrasement of dj-ing to 1000 people in a club and having that happen and having to jump to a record.... Pure nightmare :-D

You cannot understand the embarrasement of dj-ing to 1000 people in a club and having that happen and having to jump to a record.... Pure nightmare :-D

Hey dude, we can understand that relying on XP in a professional situation like this is a nightmare !

BTW, if windows wasn't so crappy... os X wouldn't be so great :-)

Install osx86 on your laptop, do some tests for a few days before using it while you work, I guess osx86 will run smoother, quicker, safer than XP.