This is impossible!

Sukhoi

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I happen to own a Gateway MX3230, and I just wanted to let you guys that it's been a real blast trying to get this little thing up and running. And by real blast I mean real nightmare. Installation went perfectly fine. I had no qualms or issues about it. I just wish the rest of this mess was as nice and easy as the installation was. I was greeted by the OSX desktop afterwards, and from there everything went downhill. The first thing I notice was that I don't have any audio and OSX wasn't decting my wireless card at all. Not a big deal I thought, I'm pretty sure someone on the forums have arleady figured it out months ago. I also couldn't change my resolution from 1024x768, but that minor in comparison to what else was going on. This project has been going on for years, or so I thought.

Well, first things first. I decided I was going to get my wireless working so I could get online at least and browse the forusm for help from there. Negative. Spent the later half of today searching, searching, double checking, configing, downloading things I was sure wouldn't have any affect on my current situation and slamming my face into my desk. I later find out that NO ONE has been able to get my wireless card running. A Realtek 8185 wireless adapter. I guess that's what I get for going for cheap {censored}.

Not a problem, there's a parallels workaround that I haven't motivated myself to getting around to yet. I figured I would first see if I can get any audio before deciding to embrace the internets. Bad idea. Very bad idea. It seems as though everyone with the Realtek ALC250 chipset has no idea what they're doing and their self concocted drivers work for them and only them. I also don't have a degree in programming so I can't exactly make my own drivers as I so wish someone else would for me. So after finding out that the only people that got this sound card putting out any audio are running Mac OSX 10.4.5 while I'm on 10.4.8; I decide I'm going to try their fixes, patches and random command inputs just anyway. There couldn't be that big of a different could there?. Those where about as helpful as a super soaker in Michigan during the winter. Nothing came out of ANY of that.

I'm too tired and stressed and bothered to even try to see if my video card is capable of changing it's resolution. The rest of my little adventure into converting my dinky cheap laptop into a Mactop was nothing but dissapoint and full of running in circles. I quite honestly think I would have easier time quad booting Windows Vista, XP, and 2 linux distro's rather than just natively runnign Mac OSX on my laptop by itself.

I want to ask for help, but unless somenoe is willing to hold my hand through this there is no way I can get this thing working on my laptop. I love the OS and I'm trying so hard to make it work, but it's getting ridiculous. Almost none of my hardware is seemingly compatable, and my only other option is converting the laptop to Ubuntu.

If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated, if anyone want to come in and mope with me that we can't be apart of this awesome community join on in, if anyone wants to come in and flame me for being an idiot be my guest.

Cheers,

Sukhoi

Hey man,

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience but believe me: most of use go through that. You just gotta relax and take it one step at a time.

You can count on me for technical support but I will not hold your hand. I leave that for the boy scouts. Catch my drift?

Cheers,

hecker

dude... sorry to hear about it man... i guess it would've been helpful for you to read the wiki for compatible hardware before buying your lappy... i've been through what you've been through as well.. wireless didnt work, so i plugged in dial up just to get on the net... graphic card was forever on 800 x 600 resolution... i know how you feel man...

but the forum will always be here to help you out... cheer up...

My dad use to be computer teacher back in school.

That time the only computers he had was the apple II.

He was so proud of macs then because he could run it off the battery from his car at camp.

Then, he finally gathered enough money to buy his own power pc and thats the only computer i grew up with... 99 mhz of raw power...

i never knew the joys of computer gaming and always envied PC kids who played games all day.

From young, my dad always said that PC games can never run on a mac, and emulation on a computer like that is insane.

I ageed that it was.

Then... the news that changed our lives was when Jobs revealed the new MacBookPro.

Both our jaws dropped instantly as we stared at the display model.

Our wildest dreams never even imagines this.

But, as i am in college now, we can barely have enough money to support my family (bot retired teachers).

It was then that i discovered Insanely Mac and the Hackintosh.

Now, i'm proud that my dad gets to live his passion on a home brewed OSX86 running on intel, same power, same soul.

Though less elegantly, this lets my dad relive his days of glory when he was the only mac owner around from where i come from.

Thanks alot all you people who keep this site up, you do impact people around this world!

That is a really touching story, Tried. I too am very thankful for this forum and for the developers of OSX86. I'm sure that OSX86 has positively changed the way many users feel towards Apple forever. What was a dream for many has become reality TODAY and that is simply awesome!

Cheers,

hecker

Hey man,

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience but believe me: most of use go through that. You just gotta relax and take it one step at a time.

You can count on me for technical support but I will not hold your hand. I leave that for the boy scouts. Catch my drift?

Cheers,

hecker

Oh no XD! I didn't mean like that. I just meant you if you're willnig to help then i hope you aren't bothered by me asking questions every 10 minutes! Oh man it's been a night. :)

And to the other guy, i already had this laptop for about a year before finding out about this project. So it's no money wasted, trust me XD. I guess if I really wanted a macintosh that bad I'd go buy one huh? It was fune while it lasted though..

Cheers,

hecker

I'm a boy scout... I don't catch your drift!

I just meant to say that I would offer my technical support but I would not help him across the street while holding his hand, guys. :)

I guess it just sounded different in my mind, hehe.

hecker

I just meant to say that I would offer my technical support but I would not help him across the street while holding his hand, guys. :tomato:

I guess it just sounded different in my mind, hehe.

hecker

lol

That is a really touching story, Tried. I too am very thankful for this forum and for the developers of OSX86. I'm sure that OSX86 has positively changed the way many users feel towards Apple forever. What was a dream for many has become reality TODAY and that is simply awesome!

Cheers,

hecker

Agreed hecker... OSX86 Rules... insanelymac rules!!

• 2 months later...

Sukhoi,

Still looking for an ALC250 fix? I have a partial one - picked up from this forum and compiled for 10.4.8. Partial because right now I have sound from only one speaker. Let me know if you are interested.

Don't worry about the frustrations. I am from the Linux world, so to me the Mac tinkering is a breeze! ;-)

But in the end when you do get it working - and you stop and finally rest - its a feeling that can be savoured over and over again... :-)