Couldn't find root user Please Help!

N!CK

3 posts in this topic

okay, i did a clean install of OSX (Jas 10.4.7) after putting a new hdd in (old one came apart on the inside, kinda cool) and after i reinstalled OSX on the new one i get a forever apple boot screen, when i boot in using F8 i get the follwing.

May 30 12:58:01 localhost memberd[55]: dsFindDirNodes returned -14071, count = 0

May 30 12:58:01 localhost memberd[55]: dsFindDirNodes returned -14071, count = 1610603584

May 30 12:58:01 localhost memberd[55]: Couldn't find root user. Sleeping and trying again.

disk1s1: I/O error.

...and it repeats this ^^^^ over and over (its been going about 1 hr. now)

Is the read/write error the problem? or did the install get messed up? ive installed twice once with the SSE3 patch Once without. Before the SSE3 patch caused a similar problem, even though i have an SSE3 Intel P4. any help is greatly appreciated, thank you for taking the time to look!

• 3 months later...

Hi there N!CKA55 i am sharing your pain! :)

after installing 2G of Buffallo RAM my macbook core 2 duo 2.16Ghz is behaving weirdly.... but i think it's not the ram (tested it, insert macos setup cd1 HOLD D -> Hardware test)it could be that a file corruption occured and now MacOS can not find the root account (or config files belonging to it) anymore.

IF YOU HOLD DOWN COMMAND(APEL)KEY+V -> VERBOSE MODE -> DISPLAY BOOT INFORMATIONS -> I get the same errors as you state above

"couldn't find root user"

sleeping and trying again.

couldn't find root user dsFindDirNodes returned -14071 count 0

repeats and repeats...

and finally results in Debugger panic:

Unresolved kernel trap CPU1 type 14=pages fault registers: panic(cpu1 caller 0x00...

debugger called: <panic>

backtrac, format -frame : return address (4 potential args on stack)..

lots of hex values... backtrace terminated...

kernel version darwin kernel version 8.10.1

YOU KNOW WHAT IS GREAT?

I can not even boot MacOSX setup from CDROM1... BUT I CAN BOOT FROM KNOPPIX 5.0 DVD AND VISTA 64BIT JUST FINE!

with a mount your hfsplus drive on knoppix via:

sudo mount –t hfsplus /dev/sda2 /yourpathtothe/mountpoint/

any suggestions?

What kind of drive is that? Did you make sure that it is configured as MASTER and plugged in the correct position (if IDE)?

hecker

PS: You can try removing other hardware devices that may be causing trouble as well. I also recall getting this msg when I tried plugging my DVD-Rom together with a HDD.