anyone have the same problem?

inspector

18 posts in this topic

thanks i will try that , its really weird sometimes i just open safari and firefox then it gives me a screen saying restart your pc its bugging me ! :( i told it to never put the pc to sleep , is that correct? lets see what happens now.

i told it to never put the pc to sleep , is that correct?
Yup, that's it. If that doesn't work then you may consider checking your RAM. Specially if you have non-dual channel modules. Sometimes lowering their speed a little (BIOS) does the trick.

hecker

ok , i tried the 1st solution and no result , it still goes mad after a hour or so , it freezes and says you need to restart your pc. i lowered my ram to 400mhz but it doesnt boot when i do that :S hmmm i dnt no =(

and by the way is it normal to get like glitches now and then with my display? like the windows are half missing sometimes but reapear when i drag them somewhere? iv installed titan as instructed , would natit be better? i have a geforce 6200

Hmm, those glitches aren't normal at all. Usually that has to do with the graphics card memory buffer.

Try natit, it may help. I have a geforce 6200 myself and it works flawlessly.

hecker

PS: Here's a little site I found to get you started with tweaking the RAM on Nvidia boards. Remember that your goal is to increase stability: http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11397

thanks for the help mate , im going to try natit instead of titan, and play about with that site you gave me. let you know how i get on. :whistle:

Ok , i fixed the glitchy part , i took out my geforce 6200 512mb , and put it my old geforce fx 5200 128mb and its working perfectly. iv took out a gig of ram aswell to see if it will sort the problem with the restart screen every hour or so , or maybe that was being caused by my geforce 6200 card hmmm. lets wait and see.

thanks for the help mate , im going to try natit instead of titan, and play about with that site you gave me. let you know how i get on. :)

Ok , i fixed the glitchy part , i took out my geforce 6200 512mb , and put it my old geforce fx 5200 128mb and its working perfectly. iv took out a gig of ram aswell to see if it will sort the problem with the restart screen every hour or so , or maybe that was being caused by my geforce 6200 card hmmm. lets wait and see.

I'm also getting this random restarting. Whoops, there it goes again. I'm using an nVidia FX5700 with the natit kext. I'll try the technique of pulling back the ram to see if that helps me. I'm using 10.4.8 with 8.8.1. Do you think moving to 10.4.9 with the new kernal would help?

Actually, mine is never gracious enough to actually tell me to restart (I don't get the panic screen), mine just suddenly and randomly reboots. On occasion (like 2 minutes ago) it also just freezes and I have to manually press and hold the power button to restart.

So what we are experiencing might be different.

Mine actually tells me to restart ! and iv got that freezing problem twice now since yesterday , i had to turn it off my the power button aswell , i am trying to change bios settings etc but i dunno , maybe someone will give us a permanent solution !

That's too bad. This is getting SO close. Strangely, since I swapped in the new AGPGart (2.2) I've not been getting the random restarts. I still ocassionally (maybe 3 times since 2PM) get the freeze up. Is it possible that moving from AGPGart 2.1 to 2.2 solved my problem?

Love the dual screen but I would so much more love to get the CI/QE working.

maybe , i mite reinstall it but this time do a dual boot with xp and osx and see how that runs.
I'm sorry to hear that you had to go back to XP. I hope you are able to get it working on your next installation. I think the best way to do it is to remove all unused hardware, disable any tweaking in your BIOS and if possible, make a backup of your fresh OSX installation so you can always go back to the beginning while trying out different solutions.

hecker

well i installed osx on a sata hd , i have a spare ide drive which im going to plug in and install osx on2 that. if i install osx normaly would it let me choose what hd i want to boot from? so i cud use xp on my other hd.