10.4.8 - 10.4.9 Endless Restart

DeadXDawn

15 posts in this topic

Ok, so this is my 1st attempt at a Hackintosh PC. I installed Jas 10.4.8 and got through that, reboots and I have the Grey Screen of death telling me to reboot.. ok so I can get around that by booting into safemode, I get into OSX and everything is running. Well at least everything safe mode allows. I run the update for the WindowLogin and then the Update for 10.4.9. Still everything is fine until I restart. Upon restart, it starts to load Darwin and just as the OS is about to appear it restarts the computer and gets stuck in an endless loop. -x, -v, -s, -f, and all other commands do not work and the endless loop continues. I have reinstalled several times with different options and I have yet to get it to boot properly. This on is a real pain and I have surfed the forums for days and found no answer.. who is up to the task??? Here are my specs. Please keep in mind that this machine is used as a PC and the Hackintosh is just a side project for fun so the hardware wasn't picked out for such a build.

FYI - OSX 10.4.8 does run in safe mode but thats it.

Intel x6800 Core 2 Duo Extreme

Nvidia 680i Mobo

4 Gigs - XMS ddr2 800

80 Gig Ide -- for the Hackintosh install (used its own drive to keep my other stuff safe)

Soundblaster X-fi Platinum (have onboard audio as well but diabled at the moment)

2 - Nvidia 8800 GTX sli - Sli bridge still attached (mac detects 2 video cards but not at proper specs)

Ok, so this is my 1st attempt at a Hackintosh PC. I installed Jas 10.4.8 and got through that, reboots and I have the Grey Screen of death telling me to reboot.. ok so I can get around that by booting into safemode, I get into OSX and everything is running. Well at least everything safe mode allows. I run the update for the WindowLogin and then the Update for 10.4.9. Still everything is fine until I restart. Upon restart, it starts to load Darwin and just as the OS is about to appear it restarts the computer and gets stuck in an endless loop. -x, -v, -s, -f, and all other commands do not work and the endless loop continues. I have reinstalled several times with different options and I have yet to get it to boot properly. This on is a real pain and I have surfed the forums for days and found no answer.. who is up to the task??? Here are my specs. Please keep in mind that this machine is used as a PC and the Hackintosh is just a side project for fun so the hardware wasn't picked out for such a build.

FYI - OSX 10.4.8 does run in safe mode but thats it.

Intel x6800 Core 2 Duo Extreme

Nvidia 680i Mobo

4 Gigs - XMS ddr2 800

80 Gig Ide -- for the Hackintosh install (used its own drive to keep my other stuff safe)

Soundblaster X-fi Platinum (have onboard audio as well but diabled at the moment)

2 - Nvidia 8800 GTX sli - Sli bridge still attached (mac detects 2 video cards but not at proper specs)

Use -v boot flag so as you can see errors during startup. Take note of it and post it here, so the expert members may help you well.

I've tried that... the only thing that happens is it shows a bunch of text that quickly scrolls down the screen, I paused the screen to see what is says and it basically is going through all the files and stuff that it's loading, never does it say anything about an error.

On a side note, when I attempt to install the .dmg fix, it starts then suddenly the screen gets overtaken by the dreaded (You must restart your computer) screen. Then from there on it gets stuck in the loop. I am able to apply the SSE3 Update and also the Login patch, but thats it. It doesn't respond to any type of advanced boot commands such as the -v, -f, -x, -s it goes through the same endless loop. As for typing what is said in the -v screen it would take me about a day and it never says anything about errors.

Yea I figured that much out... is there anything I can do to get it to work.. that is what I am trying to figure out. That .dmg fix is only for firewire and something else If I read it correctly so I really don't see how that is causing all this. The sse3 patch and the login patch work fine. They install and they tell me everything was installed correctly, so where is the problem? I have been installing and re-installing for 2 days now and just getting fed up with this process. Is there anything I can do? or should I just keep at this?

Yes, everything that I used is from a secondary source and not from Apple itself. All patches and updates are from jaS and I do not use original apple software. I may be a noob at installing Hackintosh but I am an experience user so I have taken all the proper steps to install this OS I am just running into strange behavior that has not been documented on this forum and therefore am hoping someone can help.

Ok so I have been trying what you said and it doesn't seem to work. On the other hand I have been reading that when updating or installing the 10.4.9 Jas patch that you should select either sse2 or sse3 but not both, I have no chance to change one or the other. When I am in OSX and I hit the upgrade it says hit continue to upgrade and it does just that. No where does it give me the option to choose sse2 or sse3 so where or how can I access that, I think that may help a little bit. Also am I supposed to upgrade to 10.4.9 inside of OSx or am I supposed to boot -v -s and then do an upgrade through there. Can someone help??

managed to get a Kernel Panic with 4 dependencies

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.1)@0x581d800

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(1.4.4)@0x5ea30000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport(1.4.4)@0x5ea4b000

dependency: com.apple.NVDAResman(4.4.0)@ox5ea5a000

Kernel version 8.8.1

System Specs are at the top of the post

Anyone know what I can do to get these fixed up?

i have had the same problem and it only happens whin i have an nvidia graphics card in but when i don't and i use the onboard graphice it boots but is in a crappy looking hard to read grayscale.

Try this If it will help, boot your osx using -v -s

then type:

/sbin/mount -uw /

hit enter

then type:

cd /system/library/extensions

hit enter

then type this:

rm -rf nvdaresman.kext

now try to boot osx with your nvidia graphic card.

DeadXDawn, also try this guide. it wont hurt you

Hey thanks I will give this a try as soon as I get home. I did do a re-install and tried a bunch of other tricks that I read on the forums... so far no luck. Let's hope this does the trick. I need this OS to work.

Hey thanks... it worked. For the 1st time I was able to boot into 10.4.8 I am a little reluctant to try the 10.4.9 boot only because I am not so sure I really care that much about the updates that is carries. I still have no Sound, Internet, Display Setting, or USB at the moment and I have a lot of work still to get that going. I for one would like to know if the benefits of the 10.4.9 Patch are really worth it in the big picture.

Hey thanks... it worked. For the 1st time I was able to boot into 10.4.8 I am a little reluctant to try the 10.4.9 boot only because I am not so sure I really care that much about the updates that is carries. I still have no Sound, Internet, Display Setting, or USB at the moment and I have a lot of work still to get that going. I for one would like to know if the benefits of the 10.4.9 Patch are really worth it in the big picture.

Cheers man!!! try to check the 10.4.9 update guide that I posted here.

Check also the Post Installation links under Homebrew Mac

Try to use Diabolik Natit for your add-on graphics