HELP... it worked... now it doesn't?

Mike Sinclair

4 posts in this topic

Strange stuff here ... if anyone has any ideas, please help.

I bought a 20" Imac and installed boot camp and windows xp pro... no problem. Install worked and I was running windows with no problem. Then, I had a power surge and my mac rebooted. I tried getting into windows and it wouldn't let me. (The Mac side was fine). I reinstalled windows and at the part where it detects hardware devices, it reboots. So I backed everything up, reformatted, re-installed OS X, reinstalled updates and bootcamp and windows... again, during hardware detection, windows reboots. Could the "surge" damaged a piece of hardware or something? Mac side seems to work just fine, so this is weird.

Another thing I did notice is when I reboot the Mac, it seems to take a little longer than it used to... white screen longer than before... hmmm

I had this problem on a macbook 13". I had to start the bootcamp setup routine from within OSX and choose to remove bootcamp and repartition the drive so that there is only one partition (osx of course). After that, I rebooted and went through the installation process again (you can skip the driver CD creation process) and it worked.

Cheers,

hecker

Hecker, thanks, but that's just it... I DID revert back to one Mac partition and tried again. I even re-installed Mac OS X from scratch. No luck.

Does anyone know if there's a way to run some kind of Hardware Diagnostics on Mac to see if I do have a piece of defective hardware?