Unusual triple boot question - help needed

jmg123

6 posts in this topic

I need help with setting up a triple boot, the reason I don't want to start fresh is that I don't want to have to re-install vista, it would be to much of a pain in the arse. Here is my setup

• I have 3 IDE HDD's and 1 Sata (all 250Gb), two IDE's and the SATA are currently blank (or will be when I try doing this) and one IDE is primary with vista on it
  • The only bootloader installed is the vista default one.
  • My other hardware is OSX compatible, I have had it running before

Here is my Question

Is it possible to triple boot OSX XP and VISTA, when all three have their own hard-disk? How would I go about setting up GRUB? and what order should I install the next OS' ? I was going to put XP on the SATA (though I am not sure if the SATA will screw up everything). The final IDE I thought I would have as fat32 to just hold my photo's, work and music.

cheers in advance

An easy, though not very elegant way of doing it with everything on its own drive is to just hit the boot selector key when booting (depends on your BIOS. Mine is F11, my boyfriend's is F12). That way you don't have to worry about messing anything up, or what to do if grub.conf can't be found or something.

I need help with setting up a triple boot, the reason I don't want to start fresh is that I don't want to have to re-install vista, it would be to much of a pain in the arse. Here is my setup
  • I have 3 IDE HDD's and 1 Sata (all 250Gb), two IDE's and the SATA are currently blank (or will be when I try doing this) and one IDE is primary with vista on it
  • The only bootloader installed is the vista default one.
  • My other hardware is OSX compatible, I have had it running before

Here is my Question

Is it possible to triple boot OSX XP and VISTA, when all three have their own hard-disk? How would I go about setting up GRUB? and what order should I install the next OS' ? I was going to put XP on the SATA (though I am not sure if the SATA will screw up everything). The final IDE I thought I would have as fat32 to just hold my photo's, work and music.

cheers in advance

This is a piece of cake! I would unplug the Vista drive and install OSX standalone onto Drive #2. Then I would hook up all three drives and do the Linux install allowing GRUB to pick up what it can which will be your Linux install and Vista (for sure). Fiesty might grab OSX too.... Not sure. If it doesn't, or if you are running other than Fiesty, you will have to edit your menu.lst and fstab to add the OSX. That should do it. I sort of go about it in an odd fashion for which you can check my sig below.

Thanks for the help everyone, somehow I thought it might be harder than that, but I guess the fact I have a different HDD for each OS simplifies things, I'll try it next weekend and let you know how I get on

-Edit- double post