Changing CPU's

jackyyll

15 posts in this topic

So, i had successfully installed OSX86 on my Celeron D processor for a while. But today i decided to upgrade to a Pentium 4 630 3GHz processor... And now.. When i boot up into OS X, things don't go so well. Parts of the screen are the wrong colors, black boxes around open apps, freezes up randomly. And that is when i do get it to boot, sometimes it goes to a blue screen with a shell..

Any ideas how to fix this? :/

What motherboard & BIOS ? Some motherboards require a BIOS upgrade for processors like the '630.

Example @ <http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/nt/nt_proc.htm>

G

===============================

Everything works, including both cores, DVI & sleep:

Pentium D 3.2 Ghz - Intel Motherboard D945GNTKLR

10.4.9 Build 8P2137/Darwin 8.9.1 Kernel: Thu Mar 15 20:55:00 PST 2007; netkas: 792.18.15~1/ RELEASE_I386

2 GB Ram - 2x 1GB DDR2 667

HD 400 GB - Seagate SATA

Onboard Firewire 400

Onboard 10/100/1000 LAN

DVD-RW-DL Pioneer 18X DVR-212D SATA

Sony CDRW 52X CRX23EE EIDE

Belkin F5D7000 Wireless PCI

Video ATI/ATI X1600 Pro PCIE 512MB

Display Dell 2405FPW

Logitech Wireless keyboard & mouse

Aspire Pininfarina Tower Case

I have an MSI PM8M2-v motherboard.

According to the website this is what your mobo supports:

"Supports Intel® Pentium 4 / Celeron D /processors in LGA775 package.

Supports up to Pentium 4 5XX and Celeron D 3XX sequence processor"

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=pm8m2-v

That pentium 4 630 should work.

Check here to make sure you have the latest bios listed:

http://www.msicomputer.com/support/bios_result.asp

Good Luck!

:)

K

Now I realize that math isn't my strongest subject, but if a motherboard supports "up to Pentium 4 5XX", how do you make the leap to "That pentium 4 630 should work" ??

This prcocessor (P4 630) is just not compatible with this (older) motherboard (MSI PM8M2-v). With LUCK, neither the motherboard nor the procesor have been damaged by the attempt.

It may be that Ubuntu seems to work OK in a short test, but I'll bet that too will fail over time.

G

Now I realize that math isn't my strongest subject, but if a motherboard supports "up to Pentium 4 5XX", how do you make the leap to "That pentium 4 630 should work" ??

This prcocessor (P4 630) is just not compatible with this motherboard (MSI PM8M2-v). With LUCK, neither the motherboard nor the procesor have been damaged by the attempt.

G

Same FSB and socket.... chip wasn't quite out when that motherboard was 1st introduced.

That's why I said "should" and not will, and told him to check the bios updates.

Plus the fact that he's already running another OS with no problem should be a dead give away that the processor does work on that mobo :(

Same FSB and socket.... chip wasn't quite out when that motherboard was 1st introduced.

That's why I said "should" and not will, and told him to check the bios updates.

Plus the fact that he's already running another OS with no problem should be a dead give away that the processor does work on that mobo :(

That's what i thought too, so i'll try installing windows later and see if that "works".

OK, I suppose one could get REALLY lucky, and have a motherboard and BIOS (MSI link says latest PM8M2-V BIOS is v. 1.1 Intel Award BIOS 1/27/2005) that are older than your processor AND have everything work just great, but that does not seem to be jackyll's experience, at least when running OSX86.

G

OK, I suppose one could get REALLY lucky, and have a motherboard and BIOS (MSI link says latest PM8M2-V BIOS is v. 1.1 Intel Award BIOS 1/27/2005) that are older than your processor AND have everything work just great, but that does not seem to be jackyll's experience, at least when running OSX86.

G

There are masny cases where a processor comes out well after a motherboard has and the processor works fine.

The fact that he can run Ubuntu on it it a testimony to that fact.

If the motherboard didn't support the CPU, he wouldn't even boot, so let's get out of his way and let someone that might have some knowledge about the OS when swapping out CPUs get in here and help him.

I know when the first HT procs came out as well as the first AMD 64 X2s, you needed to do a reinstall of the OS to gain all benefits of the processor.

Peace out and good luck jackyyll :(

Okay, i just installed Ubuntu 7.04 instead and it works perfectly.. I tried reinstalling OSX86 and had the same problem that i had the first time with it not booting. Last time i fixed it by making the partition active, i tried that again with no success. It just stops at Boot From CD: _ and hangs.

Now I know that KJY9 is not impressed with my logic, but it seems to me that you have to choose your battles.

You want to run an unsupported OS on a processor that the manufacturer says is not supported by your motherboard with a BIOS from Jan 2005.

The BIOS updates to support the P4 630 on Intel's own motherboards weren't released until the Fall of 2005.

Intel and other motherboards KNOWN to work in OSX86 with the P4 630 are cheap.

If this MSI motherboard is really the place where you want to spend your time trying to get OSX86 running on your P4 630, go for it!

G

Now I know that KJY9 is not impressed with my logic, but it seems to me that you have to choose your battles.

You want to run an unsupported OS on a processor that the manufacturer says is not supported by your motherboard with a BIOS from Jan 2005.

The BIOS updates to support the P4 630 on Intel's own motherboards weren't released until the Fall of 2005.

Intel and other motherboards KNOWN to work in OSX86 with the P4 630 are cheap.

If this MSI motherboard is really the place where you want to spend your time trying to get OSX86 running on your P4 630, go for it!

G

That's because it's not logic LOL

If the processor wasn't supported by the mobo, it wouldn't even boot.

You're a funny guy...build many computers? :(

Okay, i successfully installed OSX86 on another hard drive with my P4 630 and it works fine. Does anyone have any ideas how i can fix my old installation so that i don't have to format and start all over :unsure:

Do i have to reinstall the kernel or something? Is that possible to do without damaging all my files?