help plz asap about good pentium cpu

3 posts in this topic

They should be pretty close, not much difference between them as the as the core2 is clocked lower but much faster per mhz. The core 2 duo however runs much cooler (therefore quieter), and can be overclocked to much higher speeds. So if you're overclocking it's better value.

The pentium D processors have a different setup and cores than the C2Ds. Syn has a point about the overclocking..they do well.

Basically, I tell people like this.

A Pentium 4 3.0Ghz is a pretty fast processor, but it's only one running Windows, Programs, Games, and all the other background junk.

A Pentium D 3.0Ghz is a faster processor, with one core for running the background junk, while you have another core to do the foreground stuff.

A Core 2 Duo is intel's latest model of the dual cores and the Core 2 Quad is the quad cores. A 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo in my MacBook doesn't need the whole 3.0Ghz to get the job done because one full core of the processor can be dedicated to run that particular task, while the other is running in the background.

I'm still testing out my Pentium D 940 I just got. I want to see how well these run.