OS X instal on Gigabyte K8N Pro Mobo socket 754- Working but no Sound

4 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

first post on the forum. Thanks to everyone for this project and all the hard work and research. I tried installation on my old home pc which I still use for gaming and surfing. So I decided to try an OS X install to see if it would work for me. I used Z-CPU to check the processor compatibility and it checked out. I tried the installer with an older AMD Thunderbird chip but it didnt meet the specs for Tiger and I got a black error message over the grey Apple background. So I decided to use my home PC with a 40GB Maxtor IDE HD.

My Specs:-

Motherboard - Gigabyte K8N Pro (Socket 754) with nForce 3 chipset (LAN, Audio are built in) http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Mother...me=GA-K8N%20Pro

CPU - Athlon64 3200 (no snags)

Sound Card - Soundblaster 16 ( 7 years old)

Video Card - ATI Radeon 9800XT

DVD ROM - LG Dual Layer DVD Burner (loaded OS with it and works sometimes and not to load .dmg images I had burned)

Hard Drive - Regular IDE Maxtor 40GB hard drive (SATA drive wouldnt show in patched OS X installer)

So far everything works ie.

• I have the nice dock and all functions.
  • PCI LAN card worked off the bat.
  • Updated my OS X and the installed Office for MAC 2003.
  • iLife 06 works fine as well.
  • No Safari bugs but using FireFox
  • Using a Microsoft Mac compatible Media keyboard (had to use a USB keyboard for installer)
  • USB Intelli Point Optical mouse works fine.
  • Can access my Linux Share in my home network after authentication

Only snag is I have no sound. Given the type of Motherboard I have, is it possible to get the AC'97 onboard sound to work with the nForce3 chipset? My soundblaster will not function.

Other than that everything works great!

Next Laptop is a Mac Book Pro!

Thanks for suggestions.

Whoops my bad.

I guess I didnt turn on the AC'97 audio on my motherboard's BIOS settings. I loaded back into OS X and Voila! sound with my Microsoft media keyboard working controlling the sound of the OS with the keyboard volume controllers.

Man I need to buy a MAC Book Pro. :)

• 1 year later...
Hey Guys,

first post on the forum. Thanks to everyone for this project and all the hard work and research. I tried installation on my old home pc which I still use for gaming and surfing. So I decided to try an OS X install to see if it would work for me. I used Z-CPU to check the processor compatibility and it checked out. I tried the installer with an older AMD Thunderbird chip but it didnt meet the specs for Tiger and I got a black error message over the grey Apple background. So I decided to use my home PC with a 40GB Maxtor IDE HD.(...)

I have the exact same board. Do you ever tried to install 10.5.2 or 10.5.3 or 10.5.4?

You see, I get this error after the Leo4All instalation!