MacOS X won't install completely

fragreaver

2 posts in this topic

Hi :)

After a while I wanted to reinstall my MacOS X (actually because I broke my kernel).

I only have one disk and one partition. Since OSX doesn't format during a installation, I decided to do the following:

I created a folder "backup" in /. Copied all my necessary files / downloads / and so on in there.

Then I deleted all folders and files, only "backup" was left.

Then I reinstalled OS X, but it didn't install completely. The gfx-driver was missing, utilities folder is almost empty.

If the partition is clean, it works normal. But since I only have this disk, I cant wipe out my backup or copy it anywhere else.

Anyone know how to fix it?

>Since OSX doesn't format during a installation...

Are you bootng from the OSX DVD? When you get to the install screen, there's a pulldown for utilities where you can start the diskutility program and erase the partition. Once you quit the diskutility program you'll be back at the install screen.

>since I only have this disk, I cant wipe out my backup or copy it anywhere else.

If you don't have a USB stick or external USB drive, there are other options. Download the latest LiveCD ISO of GParted. Burn the CD and boot from it. You can resize down the partition and then create an extended partition and logical drive. Make sure the primary partition remains bootable. In this way you can place your backup files on the extended partition where they won't be touched when you erase the primary partition during install.

GParted