OSX 10.4.8 (or 10.4.7...) Asks to restart after 15 secs of boot

Tinface

8 posts in this topic

Okay so i installed Jas's boot dvd 10.4.8 or 10.4.7 (I have no clue, it says 10.4.8, but ive read that he's only done to.7) So I installed OSX86 on my Compaq presario SR1920NX (almost stock except for some extra ram and HDD from an old shuttle) When it finishes installing it restarts and I load Darwin (craptacular OS) and then OSX boots for like 6-7 seconds and then does the sort-of screen overlay dropdown and asks me to restart in a whole bunch of different languages. I heard that OSX86 is safe-mode but I have no clue how to do that and how to install it or whatever. This is the name of the install DVD. Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1]

Im a young noob and have no clue how to install this Ossie, and now have no clue how to turn off these freakin' like font types (they just cycle) Please tell me how to fix this. Thxs in advance!

@Tinface: this happens to me as well. I haven't installed any video drivers - doing so used to hang my system at the blue screen.

But now at least the system starts in safe mode, try pressing the shift key as soon as the PC turns on, and keep it pressed. To my big surprise, this led me to the complete configuration of the system which, unfortunately, only works in safe mode ftb.

Well, after so many kernel panics under Linux, I finally managed to have one under OSX :whistle:

It seems to me it's a matter of chipset support (mine is the infamous 610i). I've also installed the right drivers for my ATI X1950XT but the error remains the same.

No way out?

Edit: In safe mode, the X1950XT driver works great

post-108730-1179758771_thumb.jpg

Well, at least for my case, I found out how to remove this kind of kernel panic.

1) Installed OSX 10.4.8

2) right away in safe mode

3) opened terminal and cd to /System/Library/Extensions

4) sudo -rf NVDA*

5) installed the ATI X1950XT driver as described in http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...l=1950&st=0

6) rebooted

Now it boots perfectly and all the video extensions work.

Where can I learn more about MAC OS boot sequence? I tried this approach on a trial-and-error basis, but would like to acquire the knowledge to gain control over the driver loading sequence.

• 3 months later...