Does a startup / shutdown sound exist?

xxrixx

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have posted another thread here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=51700

This is regarding my ALC850 issue. As this is an issue I have not yet resolved, I don't know if I am being paranoid! I installed 10.4.8 then updated to 10.4.9 before pluggin my speakers in.

I get sound in itunes and vlc. I recieve the 'alert', 'move to trash', 'empty trash' sound. But I do not get any Startup or Shutdown sound.

I just wondered whether this still existed for this version (10.4.9) of the Mac? Or is there a setting I need to adjust to get the full set of Mac sounds?

Thanks,

Ricky

....lol

The only startup sound that macs make is the "Bong" sound when the PC is started, which OSx86 does not do. That sound is in the Mac hardware. And OS X does not make a shutdown sound.

There has never been a startup or shutdown sound on Mac OS (actual Macs have the bong when the computer POSTs, but most PC motherboards don't have anything like that). You could write a script to play a sound at login (like Windows does) and add it to your Login items. You can also add logout items, but it's a little more involved.

Hi thanks!

That was really useful, as I would have lingered on it for some time!

sarahbau, could you explain (or point me in the right direction) how I could make this script (what can I say, I'm a little fussy! lol)

Thanks,

Rixx