nVidia G8x and ATI R6xx-based cards do not yet work

12 posts in this topic

No card based on the new ATI or NVidia GPUs will work as anything other than VESA frame buffers at present.

That means:

ALL Radeon HD 2400, 2600 and 2900 cards

and

ALL GeForce 8500, 8600 and 8800 cards

Please stop asking about them. Until Apple uses these parts, they will not be supported because we have NO driver. Even then, it is possible we will encounter a more-awkward to circumvent dependence on EFI.

People keep asking about it because if you're currently looking to build a hackintosh today, buying an R600 or (preferably) a G80 based video card makes a lot of sense.

That's exactly the position I'm in. I'm due to order parts for a machine in the next few weeks. Do I listen to the rumors and go for the 2900, or do I buy the 8800 and hope that it gets support in the future?

Who knows? Not me, that's for sure.

I think that we can be fairly certain that at least one of them will be supported in the nearish future - but until then I guess I have to keep checking sites like this for morsels of gossip.

• 2 months later...

Now when drivers are avaliable for both its possible to make them work although the GF8 project doesnt seem to go so well right now but hopefully they will make it work, asfaik there is not yet a project to make the new ATi cards work but pherhaps an effort will be made soon. Just sit back and watch and if you can provide any help to the people that work on these projects then please do so.

Righty-ho then, I'll keep driving my Trabant... :P

If nobody dared to try anything new, we'd still be living in caves!

I can't agree more with you !

Let's get our hands on a new imac, and see what we can do...

Basicaly, drivers for 2600 are more complex than 2900 because they have more stuff in it (something related to VIVO but I can't remember what...)

BTW I was just talking about R600 as G8X00 project isn't going well as it has been underlined everywhere

cyclonefr said the drivers from the iMac Software Update worked and give QE/CI using the old Borisbadenov method (in lieu of the lack of a modded Natit kext) on the French forum (I think?)

Has anybody else tried them yet?

cyclonefr said the drivers from the iMac Software Update worked and give QE/CI using the old Borisbadenov method (in lieu of the lack of a modded Natit kext) on the French forum (I think?)

Has anybody else tried them yet?

Hi, body! That is really a good news. Where did you saw this result? :D

I have a 2600XT, do hope it can work!