"About this Mac" doesn't loads and it close EVERYTHING.

inter981

8 posts in this topic

I had OS X 10.4.8 running perfect 'till yesterday, when i finished downloading OsX uphack 10.4.9. I installed it (on an AMD 64 X2 4600+ (socket 939) with a nVIDIA 7600GT), i went to "About this Mac" to check the version of the OS installed, and...

NOTHING.

It shows something like a camera-flash, it close ALL the active windows -like a super-very-fast restart-, and it never shows the "About this Mac" window. I went to the "System profiler" to check the hardware/Software, and it appers to be everything ok:

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name:	Apple Development Platform
 Machine Model:	ADP2,1
 Processor Name:	AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+
 Processor Speed:	2.41 GHz
 Total Number Of Cores:	2
 L2 Cache (per processor):	512 KB
 CPU Features:	FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE
			   MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 HTT SSE3
 Memory:	4 GB
 Bus Speed:	400 MHz

System Software Overview:

System Version:	Mac OS X 10.4.9 (8P2137)
 Kernel Version:	Darwin 8.9.1
 Boot Volume:	MacOsX86
 Computer Name:	AC’s Computer
 User Name:	AC (ac)

NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT:

Chipset Model:	NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
 Type:	Display
 Bus:	PCIe
 VRAM (Total):	256 MB
 Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
 Device ID:	0x0391
 Revision ID:	0x00a1
 Displays:
Philips 170C5:
 Resolution:	1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz
 Depth:	32-bit Color
 Core Image:	Supported
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Quartz Extreme:	Supported
 Rotation:	Supported
Display:

I don't know if this one i got, will be the unique trouble, or if i will get some more.

What really happens ? Do you think should I reinstall 10.4.8 ?

i noticed on 10.4.8, in the system profiler it shown only 1 core in the microprocessor. now it shows 2... at least, i got a little advance. :rolleyes:

Yes

Pop in your DVD, navigate to System -> Install -> Packages, install 10.4.4.loginwindow

I am running JaS 10.4.8 with the 8.8.1 kernel, and I installed the loginwindow fix from the disk, but it does not solve the problem. Like the installer screen says, "fixes some".

Use Tubgirl's 10.4.8 AMD only Final (look at PirateBay - 2.5gb) and patch it after the installation with myzars 10.4.9 AMD Upgrade (PirateBay, too, 150mb) only intsall NV40.pkg if you've got a video-card which needs to be set via Titan (so are most of the cards). Then update all the apple-stuff (iTunes and so on) and you're done (at least on a AMD + NVidia PC, ATI sucks a bit more perhaps).

This is defintiv the best way in my opinion, because Tubgirl's update to 10.4.9 is buggy from what i heared on some pcs.

Works on my AMD Athlon 64 3200+ with 1.25gb.

get the 10.4.4 login window

It doesn't solve the problem... :(

(ps: I tried to install Three times the OS: once, i used AMD SSE3 kernel, and after that, i used Universal Kernel 2. Same problem on both. I re-installed again (to work as hard as i can) in AMD SEE3 kernel). What kwernel do you think is better ?? one of these or AMD SSE2 / Universal kernel 1 ???

i have (as i told in the first post) an AMD64 X2 4600+ with 4 Gigs RAM