Foxconn NF4UK8AA won't boot with HFS+ formatted hard drive

PatSlattery

3 posts in this topic

I'm trying to install OSx86 for the first time now that I have a computer capable of running it, and I'm running into a problem. Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find anything about it. My installation goes through fine, but when the computer restarts, it hangs on the POST screen. It gives the standard single beep from the speaker indicating that all is well, but then nothing happens. I can't get into the BIOS either. Through trial and error, I've found that this happens with any drive that I format as HFS+ with disk utility (I've tried a 40 gig seagate, a 20 gig quantum, and an 8 gig WD, all IDE), regardless of whether I start the OSX install process or not. To get the computer past POST and try again, I have to put the drive into my old computer (an athlon XP, no SSE2) and format it as NTFS, and then the new computer gets past POST fine with it. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

System specs:

AMD Opteron 144 (SSE3)

Foxconn NF4UK8AA (said to be working in the 10.4.7 HCL)

512mb ram

Geforce 6600GT

Using the tubgirl 10.4.8 AMD image from TPB.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure why it wouldn't even be posting, but I suspect it's more likely that it's a problem with the partition map than the format. I know that the only way I was able to get my computer to boot to the OS X volume was if I partitioned the drive with something like pdisk (I couldn't install OS X at all when partitioned in Windows, and while I could install on a drive partitioned by Disk Utility, I couldn't boot from it unless I booted to CD first). I had a little problem that pdisk in Terminal when booted from the installer CD didn't see the SATA drive, so I had to use my "Ultimate Boot CD" to boot into Linux, where I used QtParted to partition it. Then I booted from the OS X installer CD and formatted one of the partitions for HFS+ Journaled.

Kind of annoying to have to do it this way, but it might fix your problem.

Got it working. I tried using pdisk as you suggested, but it wouldn't see the hard drive for some reason. I ended up creating a small FAT32 partition at the beginning of the disk, then formatting the rest as HFS+, and it worked. Thanks for your help