DVD-ROM and DVD-RW are working very slow.

9 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have 10.4.1 installed from the generic dvd on a USB2 HD and the most things works fine.

Only my DVD-ROM/RW are working very slow, like 2-3 MB/s when i copy a DVD or CD (I put the first one on slave and second one on master). Is there anything wrong? I hope i can fix this because it takes a lot of time to copy a simple program. I tried to copy a video-DVD but mactheripper crashes every time.

THANX

Specs? Maybe they are in PIO mode only.

Well, i'm not on my pc right now, i only know i have a Philips 16x DVD+/-RW and a Sony 16x DVD.

Yes it's not a lot of info but tomorrow i give more specifics.

They work perfect on Windows. Also when i copy something from a disc everything works extremely slow.

Any suggestions?

Are you using 8f1111? ive had some problems with my DVD writer that werent there in previous versions. I cant initialise discs or begin to write to them successfully without calibration errors or clanking etc and it is definately slow.

Edited by miranda363

I don't now what version it is but i tried it with 10.4.1 and the update to 10.4.3.

With both of them my dvd drives works very slow. And the strange thing, when i use a program to copy a DVD-video (like mactheripper, dvdbackup, osex), they all crashes.

EDIT: maybe i need to get my videocard working first. I'll try it.

Edited by red_bull

Hi all,

i tried to get my geforce 7800gtx to work but no luck. I replaced my device/vendor id (about tab in osx) in the nvidia.kext but my card isn't shown up and no kext is loaded.

I tried to copy a video_ts by throwing it to my desktop but then i get the error: 'you don't have the priveleges'. How could i fix this?

Also when i run xbench i have only 12 from 'drive'. This isn't normal.

Edited by red_bull

There is no acceleration for any nvidia cards, sorry... Maybe your IDE isn't getting proper DMA or something?

I've never really used the DVD on x86 OS X... But, you might try a 'real' 10.4.3 install instead of that psuedo upgrade that is floating around.