DHCP config wrong.

4 posts in this topic

I first tried my built-in ethernet but it wasn't reconized. (not that I expected it to) I had an old D-Link DFE-538TX lying around (very happy) and plugged it in. osx 10.4.8 saw it right away but couldn't connect to the internet. I when into ubuntu, same thing. Then finaly windows and same thing.

When set to DHCP, it would auto config the ip to 169.254.188.209, subnet 255.255.0.0 when it should be 192.168.1.107 and 255.255.255.0. When set to static, It just wouldn't connect.

I have a Asus Crosshair motherboard, Athlon 3800+ CPU and the D-link DFE-538TX network adapter. Any ideas? Thanks!

I first tried my built-in ethernet but it wasn't reconized. (not that I expected it to) I had an old D-Link DFE-538TX lying around (very happy) and plugged it in. osx 10.4.8 saw it right away but couldn't connect to the internet. I when into ubuntu, same thing. Then finaly windows and same thing.

When set to DHCP, it would auto config the ip to 169.254.188.209, subnet 255.255.0.0 when it should be 192.168.1.107 and 255.255.255.0. When set to static, It just wouldn't connect.

. . . did you set the gateway & DNS server(s) correctly?

What is your internet gateway? Router or Modem? If you are using a router, then remember to turn DHCP on.

Try to ping your router (you will have to enable this functionality on your router first. It should say something like "disable PING response" or someting similar under security or firewall). If it doesn't respond, then there might be something wrong with your cable/connection jacks.

hecker

I'm using a linksys router, which has been working fine with my nforce 590 built in ethernet (both with DHCP). Too bad osx cant see it. Now to figure out this problem I'm using windows and the D-link card. I realized that my dns server wasn't configured properly so I did and now it says it's connected (instead of limited connection)but still no internet... What Is Wrong!!!!! When I ping my router it times out the first two and works the second two. Is it to do with my motherboard or something?! As far as I know I have set Everything up correctly!