MBP Clock between OS X and Vista?

buzlink

8 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

The clock in OS X should automatically update itself, the same goes for the Windows clock. In both OSes, click/double-clicking on the clock will bring up the date and time settings, and from there you should be able to tell it to auto-update from the internet, if it's not doing so already.

• 2 weeks later...

osx automatically updates itself but windows does not. there is also a problem with xp not being able to update its time over the internet as wel... i have yet to see a fix yet... but its a minute problem.

for some odd reason I cannot change my clock. Whenever I do it sets itself back 4 hours meaning if its actually 11:00pm it sets to 7:00 pm automatically and I have chosen Miami, FL for timezone. This is really weird because if I go reboot into Windows XP its the same....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
No, I have the same problem, as do many ppl. The two os'es are out of sync. I will have to trawl the forum a bit for a potential solution.

The problem is that OS X (like most *nixes) sets your system clock to UTC and then applies your local time offset to show the correct local time. Windows (XP and Vista) store it as local time. There was a registry key you could set in XP to store as UTC, but I don't know if this works in Vista. As mentioned by others, getting both OSes to use NTP to update is the best workaround for now.

• 2 months later...

I found this solution on a forum posted by "josmul123" here

*** WARNING: Editing your registry improperly can render your Windows installation inoperable. Proceed VERY carefully. I am not responsible if you mess something up. ***

The short solution for people who know how to edit the registry:

A DWORD key called

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSetControl\

TimeZoneInformation\RealTimeIsUniversal

needs to have the value of "1"

The step-by-step solution is as follows:

1. Boot Windows

2. Click Start --> Run and type regedit. Click OK

3. The Windows Registry Editor should pop up. Navigate within the explorer to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet

then to:

Control\TimeZoneInformation

4. Click on the TimeZoneInformation "folder" from the navigation pane if you haven't already done so.

5. This assumes the correct key doesn't exist. If it does, you will just change the existing key's value: Right click on the white space within the folder (If you don't have a right mouse button, you may need to download a program called applemouse to emulate the "control-click" of the apple 1-button mouse). Select new --> DWORD Value. Title the key "RealTimeIsUniversal" (No quotes). Set the value to "1" (No quotes again). Hexidecimal should be fine.

6. Either reboot and set the clock in MacOS or set the clock in Windows. You should now be able to reboot into either OS and have a correct clock.