UPDATED: How To: a $500 Hackintosh Pro with 10.4.10 100% working

x86SMD

14 posts in this topic

Since many people have emailed me asking how I got my Sony Vaio RB30 working 100%, I decided to create a thread to share.

NOTE: I will be UPDATING this page (as much as I can) to reflect new updates and adding links to the files.

Update 1: Updated Links to files so they work properly, corrected a typo.

Update 2: 10.4.10 is OUT! Instructions to upgrade to 10.4.10 have been posted! See Below.

10.4.10 will allow you to update to the newest iTunes and iLife 08. 10.4.10 is also REQUIRED for the iPhone. It also includes stability updates.

--------------------------------------------------------

My 100% working Hackintosh Specs: (OSX 10.4.10 with Dual Boot XP or Vista)

Sony Vaio Intel P4 3.0 HT

Intel 915GAG Chipset

2GB Corsair XMS

WD 74GB Raptor 10k

PNY GeForce 6600GT Dual DVI Full QE & CI (Titan.kext)

RealTek ALC880 ICH6 Audio (AzaliaAudioFix)

OSx86 KoolKal 10.4.10 Intel SSE3 Update

OSx86 KoolKal 10.4.9 Intel SSE3 Update

OSx86 JAS 10.4.8 Intel SSE3 Only DVD

---------------------------------------------------------

1) First off, grab yourself a refurbished Sony Vaio RB30 (or any RB model with the Intel 915GAG mobo) It will cost you around 500 bux from eBay (I just found one for $424 plus shipping) Its a (P4) but OSX sees 2 cores due to hyperthreading and makes a 120+ on xbench with all test included (vs 145 for a core 2 duo MacBook), not bad.

2) You can use the GMA900 integrated graphics just fine, but I recommend buying at least a 6600GT off of ebay. I got my PNY 6600GT 128MB for $40 from eBay. There are also much better video cards that are also compatible with OSX, just look at the HCL wiki. Any nVidia PCI Express video card on the HCL should work. In addition you can add up to 4 SATA HDs if you want. They will all be recognized by OSX.

3) Download the JAS 10.4.8 Intel SSE3 Only DVD (on Demonoid), the Koolkal 10.4.9 Intel SSE3 Only Update (on Demonoid), and the Koolkal 10.4.10 Intel SSE3 Only Update (on Demonoid). This might take a day or two depending on your internet connection. It is important that you download only these specific files because I have tested the JAS 10.4.8 + 10.4.9 AIO and it works but barely with many crashes and errors. Burn all three to DVD using Toast or Alcohol120 (This will help with installation later)

4) Download the nVidia Titan.kext ---> Titan__nVidia_.zip This is for most nVidia 6XXX and 7XXX PCI-E 16X cards.

Also download AzaliaAudio.pkg.zip --->AzaliaAudio.pkg.zip This is for the ALC880 ICH6 Realtek HD onboard Audio

5)Format your primary HD (connected to SATA port 1) using GParted-LiveCD (Gparted LiveCD Download)(or any partition tool) and format the primary partition using NTFS, and format the secondary partition to FAT32 (we will format this partition with HFS+ later)

6) Use your Windows XP CD (instructiuons for Vista comming soon) to setup XP on the primary partition. Restart.

7) Next, restart with the JAS 10.4.8 Intel SSE3 Only DVD in the DVD drive. Before you start the setup, load the Apple Disk Utility and format the secondary partition to HFS+ (Mac OS extended (Journaled)). Exit the Disk Utility and start the setup. Choose only the Intel 10.4.8 package during setup. Setup OSX as normal. You will notice that the setup is slow and the video is choppy and buggy, this will be fixed after the setup. Everything besides the Audio and Video works right OOTB.

8) Remove the JAS 10.4.8 Intel SSE3 Only DVD from the drive and insert the GParted LiveCD. Set the secondary partition to boot (remove boot flag from primary partition and add it to the secondary partition) This enables OSX to boot without using the DVD or chain0.

9) Boot into OSX, and drag the Titan.kext into /System/Library/Extensions/

10) open terminal and copy/paste these commands in

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/titan.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/titan.kext

sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

11) Restart OSX

12) The screen will flicker during bootup but this is normal. You will now have native resolution (1680x1050 for my Cinema Display)

13) Double click and install the AzaliaAudio.pkg. Restart. (no permission repairs or rm extensions necessary, just install and restart)

NOTE: if you want to use the AppleHDA.kext and get all jacks working, use the AppleHDA Patcher by taruga. (If you just need audio out, the AzaliaAudio.pkg is much simpler)

14) After restarting, install the Koolkal 10.4.9 Intel SSE3 Only Updater by double clicking on the .pkg file and following the instructions. You shouldnt have to select any custom packages, just the default settings will work. After the 10.4.9 pkg is installed, restart.

15) Once you have restarted, locate the koolkal 10.4.10 Intel SSE3 Only Updater and double click the .pkg file. IMPORTANT: Only select the 10.4.10 update package, the Kernel Updater and the SATA + ICH8 support. DO NOT select the IOFamilyNetworking.kext update! (This will cause the ethernet to not work). After the 10.4.10 pkg is installed, restart.

14) Now you have a 100% working Hackintosh Pro! Cheers! (Press F8 during boot to boot into windows, as it will always boot directly into OSX)

After you update to Koolkal 10.4.10, use the Apple Software updates to update anything that needs it, including all security updates.

All apps work very well including Parallels, Adobe CS3, FCP, Aperture, iTunes, the new iLife 08 & iPhone! (require 10.4.10 to work)

Hi, congratulations, you have a 100% Hackintosh!!!

thanks for writing that post, It was very interesting. A friend of mine is going to try it as well.

Personally, I wonder if it is possible to get a 100% Hackintosh Notebook. I haven't still found proper instructions about installation and 100% compatible hardware.

If you find somebody with a "Perfect Hackintosh Notebook" please write!!!

Thanks!

Arepas. :)

2 questions:

1. Is the CPU capable of SSE3? I would guess "Yes" (since you're using "OSx86 KoolKal 10.4.9 Intel SSE3 Update + JAS 10.4.8 Intel SSE3 Only DVD"), but you don't specify.

2. Is the "Titan.kext" only for nVidia video cards, or does it also work with ATI video cards, to enable extra screen resolutions?

Thanks.

2 questions:

1. Is the CPU capable of SSE3? I would guess "Yes" (since you're using "OSx86 KoolKal 10.4.9 Intel SSE3 Update + JAS 10.4.8 Intel SSE3 Only DVD"), but you don't specify.

2. Is the "Titan.kext" only for nVidia video cards, or does it also work with ATI video cards, to enable extra screen resolutions?

Thanks.

Glad to help. SSE3 definitely... its almost required to use OSX to its full potential. You can actually use any P4 cpu with the LGA 775 socket type. You could even swap the top P4 650, 3.4 GHz chip in there for some extra clock speed. (the OSX GUI loves the high clock speeds, and so does xbench)

To answer your second question, the Titan.kext in my post only applies to nVidia 6XXX and 7XXX cards but there are numerous tutorials on how to get ATI cards working with full QE and CI. Pretty much any PCI-E 16x GPU will work as long as its on the HCL wiki. I have found that nVidia 66XX and 68XX cards are the most straight forward to setup, but its all up to personal preference and how willing you are to tinker with kexts.

Somehow I knew someone was going to try and be a smartass...

Its kind of obvious but lets examine the facts...

First off, the Mac Mini is not a sub $500 machine. The cheapest Intel MacMini that you can get is $600 with a pathetic 60GB HD and 1.66GHz cpu which doesn't even come with a DVD burner! The only other option is the $800 1.83Ghz MacMini which is very overpriced for the performance to price ratio.

Secondly, the MacMini is slow as all hell, both in xbench and in general everyday use. (we have about 30 of them at our labs) It uses integrated video ram, which makes it even slower. Not to mention the inadequate 60GB 5400rpm 2.5" HD and the fact that you have to use more expensive Laptop RAM due to the MacMini's SFF.

Thirdly, the expansion options are nonexistent for MacMini's... Just try to fit 4x750GB 7200rpm HDs or a Lightscribe in a Mini!

Lastly, the whole point of OSx86 is to explore and tinker with OSX on PC hardware.

Use a MacMini and you will immediately see that it is in no way comparable to a real desktop. Just try and run FCP or ProTools on a MacMini, :2cents:

The whole reason for this tutorial is so people don't have to buy a $2500 MacPro to have a fast and useable OSX/Windows desktop machine.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
x86smd, any idea why my p4 3.4 HT processor only shows up as a single core and processor?

is it cause i do not have 10.4.9?

Its usually due to the type of mobo you have... The 915GAG works very well but others seem to have incompatibilities.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to see someone else with an RB30! I need to follow your lead on audio so I can use the inputs too. I have not tested anything on my firewire ports yet, but did you have any extra work to do getting those to cooperate? I have only noticed that nothing shows up in the system info under that category. My next adventure is upgrading to 10.4.10 so I can sync up my iPhone on a "mac." :)

• 1 month later...
Nice to see someone else with an RB30! I need to follow your lead on audio so I can use the inputs too. I have not tested anything on my firewire ports yet, but did you have any extra work to do getting those to cooperate? I have only noticed that nothing shows up in the system info under that category. My next adventure is upgrading to 10.4.10 so I can sync up my iPhone on a "mac." :D

I have tested Firewire and it works perfectly, even the port on the front. I didnt have to setup anything...the koolkal installer recognized them automatically. If they don't show up in the FW info, make sure you are using koolkal's updates only. (let me know how it goes) Cheers!