Boot problems when I restore to a Sata drive

Bon Scott

6 posts in this topic

I reinstalled OSX system (10.4.8) on a IDE drive and I am trying to restore it on a Sata drive where there is:

25 GB HFS+ (here there was the previous osx system)

35 GB NTFS (windows xp)

15 GB FAT32

I restored using Disk Utility in the first partition, but when I try to boot a "_" blinks and nothing boots.

I've set the partition active using fdisk, but didn't work: I have the same blinking "_" at boot.

I know is necessary even to set the partition primary, but how to do this?

Thank you for your help.

Guest Ramm

Firstly, SATA == Bad...

to set a partiton to primary, in Diskpart in windows, when you create the partiton do

create partition primary id=af size=xxxx

i have the exact same problem!

I don't know how to fix it... if anyone can shed some light that would be great!

I have a Asus P5W DH Motherboard, and 2 (320gb) setup in raid0 configuration. I've tried setting my partition to an active partition, and that did not work... is there something else that I'm missing?

The only way I can by-pass this and load OSX is by booting from the JaS 10.4.8 dvd and let it count all the way down, then it will boot OSX86. But I can't get it to boot on its own! :-(

Ramm:

I don't think so... Sata is not bad, is only a little bit confusing to set, but is very fast with osx on. I've had it on until yesterday without problems.

Thank you for your help, the disk was primary... so no way to restore a system on Sata drive by now.

MacMan2007:

The only way I found to solve the problem was installing osx through vmware.

Install vmware in windows partition, set for disk the phisical first partition of the sata disk, install osx 10.4.6, restore the old 10.4.6 working extensions (including the sata ones, I putted these on a cd), update to 10.4.8.

Now I can boot from Sata disk with darwin kernel osx and windows.

I followed this method.

:wacko:

Had the same problem. The solution is simple really. Just boot off of a win98 bootdisk, and fdisk the disk. Boot from the os x boot dvd and then go to disk utility. Now, under the drive you formated with fidisk, create a new volume. Make sure you erase disk and then format with at least 1 partition. You have to fdisk because it has to be able to read os x off of mbr. This is the easiest way in my mind to get that done.