Help with Dell Inspiron 510m

szh

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. When booting up JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3 on my Dell Inspiron 510m, upon reaching the installation screen, everything is black and white and little is readable.

From some searching of the forums, I found that the problem was that the integrated 855GM (Extreme Graphics 2) was not allocating enough video ram. The suggestion to set more videoram in the BIOS could not work for me, as the 510m has no such setting in it's BIOS.

I have also tried booting into Windows XP Professional (supposedly it will correctly set the memory) and warm-rebooting into the install DVD, but the same problem occurs.

Looking at the HCL on the osx86 wiki:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...l_Inspiron_510m

It appears to work for that user. I assume that I have to do the switching of the appleintel kexts to get QE working, but what I want to know is if osx86 on this machine with colour is even possible. Will it be possible after

doing the neccessary kext renaming (possibly by macdrive?) and adding devID?

Thanks for any help.

Specs:

Dell Inspiron 510m

256mb RAM

Intel Pentium M 1.40Ghz

Intell 855 Chipset with onboard graphics

40GB HDD

DVD/CD-RW combo drive

Could anyone help me please? I just want to find out whether there's a possibility of osx86 working (with colour) if I manage to get pass the almost-unreadable installation. No one has a 510m here?

Unfortunately, the BIOS has no settings for allocating amount of video ram. I might be able to get past the barely legible installation, but what I want to know is if after modifying the relevant kexts, whether it will work with colour. Thanks for any help.

You can force screen resolution by modifying com.apple.boot.plist.

This way:

If for example want 1024x768 resolution.

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

</string>1024x768x32@60</string>

Where 1024x768 is the resolution you want, x32 is the color depth you want, and if you have VESA 3.0 graphics, @60 the color depth you want.

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

</string>1024x768</string>

Where 1024x768 is the resolution you want if you have VESA 2.0 graphics.

Thanks for your suggestions, but what I meant is this:

I booted up the install DVD and everything was black and white. Problem: 855GM graphics were not allocating enough videoram. I might be able to get through the install blind, but I wanted to find out if it would work with colour after modifying kexts.

I will use your guide to set my resolution if I get it installed. Thanks anyway.

Hi, im also new around here and have exactly the same problem with my Dell Latitude D400

The vesa driver only allocates 832k video memory at boot so even if I specify "1024x768x32@60" in my com.apple.boot.plist I still get a horribly garbled screen image.

Although its pretty difficult to see whats going on, once I had finished the install I followed the guide in this thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=757 for the 855GM graphics but wasnt able to make any progress.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated - I've got a very successful install on my desktop - E6600, 4Gb ram, DFI Infinity 975X, X1950XTX=Everything working beautifully, feels just like a homemade MacPro. But now I want to get it going on my old work laptop.

I was wondering if theres a way to fix how much VRAM the vesa driver allocates at boot?

I failed to solve the problem by warm booting from Windows, but apparently for other users it works. Is it because I did not run any 3d app in Windows, therefore litle memory was allocated? The time which I failed, when i warm-booted into the DVD, I saw somewhere in the first few lines: 254mb vram. (It still didn't work). Did I do anything wrong?

How did the people who succeeded on a 510m do it anyway?

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: The exact lines were:

Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132

254MB memory

VESA 3.0 832KB (Intel ®852GM/852GME/855GM/855GME Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS)