Initial Installation order for Virtualization for a newb

dreary79

7 posts in this topic

I will be dual booting XP Pro and OSx86. I would like to run them on the same HD. I would also like to access my XP Pro partition with VMWare. Is there a tutorial on doing this? What order do I take? Should I setup my XP partition first or should I use Bootcamp after an OSx install? thx =)

It is here a way about how to post first of all.
Wow, I didn't expect that. My first post I had someone that was very happy to help me. So I'll use your forums format... so that I can maybe get my question answered.

Identifying the problem:

instalation order for newb. I've searched, read tuts, and still have questions.
This is my problem, I've read tons of posts and tutorials and I still don't know what to do.

Research the problem BEFORE you post:

I've searched, read tuts, and still have questions.

Giving the information:

I will be dual booting XP Pro and OSx86. I would like to run them on the same HD. I would also like to access my XP Pro partition with VMWare. Is there a tutorial on doing this? What order do I take? Should I setup my XP partition first or should I use Bootcamp after an OSx install? thx =)
Do I really need to post my hardware for this question? I just want a link to a tutorial or information on the best way to dual boot as I discribed.

Be polite:

I feel like my first post was polite and I am doing my best to make this one as well.

Don't ask a question and then never respond:

I'm responding now.

Say "Thank You":

I said, "thx =)" in my original post and here is another "thx =)" to whoever is willing to help me.

Don't start a flame war:

I'm doing my best to not start a flame war. I don't understand the purpose of Oracle67's post or if he's just trying to get rid of newbs.

Motherboard?

Prosessor?

Memory?

Hard Drive?

Graphics?

Description of the possible problem.

Please help me on my way to help you.

Read my post and then maybe you'd know what I'm talking about. Do you have a problem with newbs because you're so smart? Am I posting in the wrong spot. Why do I need a problem? I just want to know what steps I need to take when I get my hardware. Maybe you should have posted your problem with newbs before you made your first post.

GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 V1.3

INTEL C2D E6400 2.13G 775 2M

1Gx2 TRANS JM2GDDR2-8K

EVGA 7900GS KO 256-P2-N624-AR

I'm not sure what HD I'm using yet. I have a 60GB Hatachi and 250GB WD

If your HDD is IDE(it is good to know from the early begining):

You need:

C: Primary Active NTFS for WIndows.(named "WIN")

D: Primary FAT32 for Macintosh.(named "MAC")

E: Primary FAT32 SWAP for general storage purposes.(named "SWAP")

If your HD 100 Gig> C: 45 Gig D: 45 Gig E: 10 Gig

Acronis Disc Director Instaled on Windows and Acronis OS Selector installed and activated.

You can start installation like pictures describe.

If you get any errors, report it with photo of your screen that it gonna give me an idea about what the error is and be able to give solution.

If Mac Os X installed succesfuly you gonna have the ability to run on the same desctop Mac Os X and Windows Vista, Xp, whatever, by using Paralells Desctop.

I wish you the best result, and i m here to hel any problem to be solved best way.

Good Luck.

Oracle67, thx for responding mercifully to my flaming. I was just getting frustrated.

They are both SATA HD's... one is 60GB, the other is 250GB. So I should partition my HD first and then install OSx. After that, how do I install XP? Do I just install it like normal, install it through a virtual software, or use something like bootcamp? I want to be able to run XP in a dual boot, but to also be able to access that same XP virtually. Will both virtual softwares run an "NTFS" xp partition?

Thx for your help =)