Gaming still behind

BobOki

6 posts in this topic

I now own a full fledged iMac 24".... and I LURV it!

But the games are VERY lacking! I know a lot of the reasons why (most start with a M and end with a icrosoft)

But even with games that have been ported I am getting sub performance in graphics.

I have a p4 3.2 with a gig o ram xp box with a ati x1600 in it vs. my new iMac 24" dual core 2.3 2 gig o ram with a nvidia 7300gt.... and yet the framerates at the same settings are 20-30 lower!

I have to play Wolf ET at 1024x760 on medium to get decent framerates on my mac!

Did I do something wrong? Is there something I don't know about that I tarded on? Or is mac just that much slower in video?

(my WoW plays slower as well.... LOADS MUCH faster.. but framerates are lower)

Hi BobOki:

I'm curious to see what kind of performance you would get using Apple's BootCamp and Windows XP or Vista? I have heard that performance is excellent due to processor (Dual Core) and Graphics Card (nVidia).

WoW was supposed to have performance boost with Universal patch (from what I've heard).

As for me, I mainly play games that are several years old (Diablo II, StarCraft, Half Life 1, etc) so my GMA 915 Chipset suits me just fine for now...

Hi BobOki:

I have most of those games installed on both platforms (Windows and Mac) except for Half Life 1 (Windows only! -- Mac Port is sorely needed). Of course, these older games run faster in Windows because the OS X versions have to run thru Rosetta Emulation.

What I'm really waiting for:

http://www.fortress-forever.com/

I would buy Half Life 2 just to get this modification when it comes out (!)

Well, if the game you're playing was originally coded for PPC and was not ported to X86, then it's going to be emulated through Rosetta, drastically decreasing performance.

WoW is a universal binary and does not suffer from emulation slow-downs.

However, Apple's implementation of OpenGL is really pathetic compared to the Window's counterpart. It's lacking necessary features as well as speed optimizations within Apple's graphics drivers, etc.

Conclusion: Poor gaming performance can either be caused by PPC to X86 emulation via Rosetta or Apple's blunder in OpenGL implementation. Also, the game code itself just might be coded such that it's just slow regardless.

Note also that the graphics chip in the iMac is the mobile version, not the ' real ' version, and is most likely a bit slower then the normal 7300.. (and I think the 7300 is slower then the x1600 anyway)