Linux vs. OS X

Ranger

Which OS is better?  

338 members have voted

1. 1. Operating Systems

• Linux
    • OS X

104 posts in this topic

Question can't be answered without considering context...

I've been a Linux user from the very first Slackware distro (early 1990s), tried Debian, SuSE, Gentoo and right now am using Ubuntu -- does all my work (programming, LaTeX) very well. Bought a MacBook recently, and I'm impressed by the ease of use and the multimedia experience -- something that the Linux (Gnome) world will find very difficult to match. Still, I need the scientific stuff from Linux that I've come to rely on, so installed Ubuntu in a Parallels VM on the MacBook, this time without the worry about multimedia stuff that's mostly crippled on Linux anyway. I think I've got the best of both worlds now, so which is better? Linux AND OS X!

I reckon Linux is a bit like flying a helicopter. In the very beginning you're flying it with just a car driving licence in your pocket. It feels technically slicker than most but then to handle it properly and do all the fancy manoeuvres you need to get a chopper licence first or at least countless hours of trial and error. But once you get the hang of it (after a couple of years or so :) ) you can switch to auto pilot and it'll take you far much quicker than most others. A number of problems might arise if you have to pick up somebody from the city centre, meaning... err... bringing in a new piece of hardware.

OSX is like taking the Eurostar or TGV train.

Windoze is like driving a plain old Golf diesel running on a vegetable oil/methanol mix with a dollip of nitroglycerin..

just my 2 1/2 pence

easy

sol