Pentium 4 HT and OS X? Friends?

SDRacer48

7 posts in this topic

I have just recently installed OS X 10.4.8 on my x86 pc. My setup is below.

It pretty much runs flawlessly now, after i fixed the OS X wants a reboot problem.

I was wondering if OS X can recognize that my processor is a Hyper Threading processor, and as well all know the Hyper Threading Processors trick the operating system into thinking there is two processors.

Does anyone know?

When you say "Pretty much runs flawlessly" what do you mean? Are there any quirks or hardware not working? It looks like you have a very economic OS X box. I would consider the mainboard you're using, if the sound/video/USB are working.

P.S.

Triple booting... Hard freaking core, bro!

I thank you on the compliments. It is not as hard as you think, but can get messy.

When I mean flawlessly, I mean that my usb ports all work (including internal which my 13 in 1 card reader is attached to and fully works), my printer (canon pixma ip5000) works great, my audio works (but only with left right now, will be fixed with patch as of tommorrow), my ethernet is full functioning, all of the programs work flawlessly, my windows ntfs, my mass storage ntfs, and my fat32 share partition all mounted properly.

Some problems include: have not got my floppy drive to work (not a big deal, but if I ever decide to fully convert to OSX86, my floppy must work), and my nvida video card is not working at its full capability. I am using the stock graphical resolution.

Other words it runs great.

As a side note, my computer specs below are correct. For some reason OS X will run as Secondary Slave on my MOBO, but it will not install. To install you must have it set to Primary Master, but then you can switch after install.

ABOUT THE MOBO: it is small, a microatx or whatever (i forgot), it is a great deal for the price ($44 when i bought it about two years ago), but since it is small it produce a lot of heat in a small area. I recommend a intelligently placed fan in the front of your tower (under the cd-rom/above the hdd facing foward to help increase circulation in your tower). I also recommend you get a temperature monitor program such as Speedfan for Windows [i use, but unfortunately not available for mac] and one for OS X (there has been reports of OS X running systems hot).

If you proceed with a similar setup [PC CHIPS board or not], I am happy to help. Just PM me/email me/or IM me on AIM.

Email: sdracer48@aim.com

AIM: sdracer48

osx86 rules!!!!!

As a disclaimer, I have had it up and running for about 2 days, so if you get back with me in a week. I will be able to give you more info.

Tronica,

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...+x+wants+reboot

check it out, should work first time.

COURTESY OF DUCTOM2002. Thanks again Tom.

darn i dont' have the same prob as you had, mine is about every two hours i get the grey message to reboot. and when i check the log it shows this

May 11 01:35:19 Macintosh kernel[0]: (75: coreservicesd)tfp: failed on 0:

now i don't know if that is causeing the crash or not, but its the last thing before it does crash

Tronica,

I sorry, i cant help you. What I would do is search the forum and GOOGLE (i realized that google will give you results from the forum that the forums search engine will not).

Good Luck

Nevermind on this thread.

If HT is enabled your BIOS, Mac OS X automatically recognizes it.

I should have checked my activity monitor first. :P