Automatically turn on external for backup

mlmorg

2 posts in this topic

This is a pretty weird question.

I have a wdc my book pro and superduper. I have set superduper to run once a week (plenty for me) but I do not like to leave my external on all the time (the annoying blue glow, random upstarts, and just because I figure the drive will last longer if it's left off most of the time). So, what I would like to do is to somehow create some sort of script or something that can turn on the external and backup with superduper when I'm not around (I always forget to backup if I have to turn it on myself all the time). I am probably way off here and there is probably no way to do this but maybe there is some way? The mybook pro has an automatic power on feature that I assumes makes the external turn on when it first gets power from the usb when the computer is turned on...I don't know if there is any way to use this automatic power on feature to have it turn on at other points...Anyway, just a weird question that is probably way off base but worth a try. Thanks, Matt

A second question I have is: If for any reason my hard drive fails (knock on wood) and I have a full backup using superduper on my external...how can I transfer all that to the new hard drive (with the changed kexts and everything I did to get Os x working on my amd in the first place) and get osx working again? Thanks, Matt