iBook Logicboards

6 posts in this topic

Okay...

I have a 12" Dual USB 500MHZ G3 iBook and I can get a working logic board from a G3 14" iBook for $20 that is working.

The new logic board has twice the Video memory and a Mobilty Radeon

Will the logic board fit into my 12" iBook????????????

Just to let you know that I've just put the logic board from a 12" 500MHz dual USB iBook into the body of a 12" 800Mhz iBook and the picture shown of the 12" iBook is not from a 500MHz model. The two screws outlined in yellow are not present in the 500MHz iBook and hold the heatsink in place. I wouldn't have been able to do the swap if the logic board I bought hadn't come with the cast aluminium subframe attached to it.

I did the heart transplant on Friday and it worked like a charm....I have smooth QE support in my laptop now. I resoildered my power connector from the 500mhz board to the 14" board and it worked. I found a 14.4 volt ibook battery where i got the logic board so now I can charge my battery too. (I found out that 12" models use a 10.8v battery and the 14"s use a 14.4v battery)

Some problems i encountered

1. When I put the new logicboard in it didnt display anything but I heard the "Booonnnngg" sound :S. I found out that it was the radeon chip. I pushed it in while i was testing and the video popped up but it was distorted and garbled. I pushed harder and it worked. From that you can see its a contact problem. To fix it I found a slim heatsink from an old video card and attached it to the GPU. When I closed the case back up the pressure of the heatsink pushing against the case was enough to make the video work perfectly and boot into Tiger.

2 When I was using it i moved it another location with the charger plugged in (this was the intention) but had my foot on the cable and snapped the end of the charger off....Looks like I need to get a new one.