Are both my cores working?

dsc106

5 posts in this topic

Not sure if my dual core X2 4800+ is being properly recognized or not...

When I look in activity monitor, it shows two bars/windows for the CPU usage.

However, here is the info from my system info, showing "total number of cores" as only 1...

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: Apple Development Platform

Machine Model: ADP2,1

Processor Name: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+

Processor Speed: 2.41 GHz

Total Number Of Cores: 1

L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 HTT SSE3

Memory: 3 GB

Bus Speed: 400 MHz

Is this just displaying it wrong in the system info? Or is there a problem? If there is a problem, is there a way to fix it and get my dual core support working?

My xbench CPU test was 84.42, with an overall score of 106.22. Is this normal for an x2 4800+ (full specs in sig).

Thanks!

Run GeekBench. It has single-threaded and multi-threaded tests that will show a big difference if you have two cores running. Since Activity Monitor shows two, it's most likely both are working, but the GeekBench results will give more information.

Well geekbench "Logical Processors = 2" & "Physical Processors = 1" so it seems like it saw the 2 cores?

Specs in sig, does this seem about right for scores:

Geekbench Score 2430

Integer Performance 2241

Floating Point Performance 368

Memory Performance 1367

Stream Performance 815

Thanks for the help!

The Integer score looks about right, but the Floating Point score looks way too low. Can you paste the more detailed results? You can't really tell if both cores are working with just the main scores. You have to look at the single vs multithreaded tests, like this:

Blowfish

single-threaded scalar 2277

100.0 MB/sec

Blowfish

multi-threaded scalar 3227

132.3 MB/sec

Dot Product

single-threaded scalar 1486

718.2 Mflops

Dot Product

multi-threaded scalar 3318

1.51 Gflops

If both cores are working, the mult-threaded scalar test will be higher for each test.

Here's a result from another Hackintosh running a 4800+. You can see that his integer score was about the same, but his FPU score was more than 23 times as fast! Your memory and stream seem a bit low as well, but you're also using slow RAM, so that might be normal.

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/1830

Well, it looks like my multi-threaded is working... but wow, that score is bad... hmm. Ok I ran it again and uploaded my results:

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/4549

So I don't know why my memory is running at 333mhz, its pc3200 which is DDR 400 (ie 400mhz) and is good fast DDR memory... wonder why its running slow? It may also be in part because I have 3x1gb sticks installed right now, so I don't think it is running dual channel (I was having trouble with having 4gb installed; the system would freeze as soon it started using more than 3gb... all the RAM is good though...)

Any ideas why my score is so low, and FPU so bad? Also why memory is running slow?

Thanks for helping me man!