OSx86 won't boot (not even directly off hard drive)

CloudBolt

5 posts in this topic

I've installed the kotr release, 10.4.8, on a PATA HDD, and have XP on a SATA HDD, which is configured to boot as first HDD.

my motherboard(nForce 4 AMD64) has its own boot menu, which allows you to select the device the BIOS should boot.

but whenever I select my OSX partition, it never gets further than "verifying DMA pool data". which seems weird to me, it doesn't even show me an error message like Disk boot failure. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :P

Probably because it is on a PATA drive. Try it with IDE if possible.

That's a mistake on my part then, the drive is in fact IDE, thought PATA and IDE were the same.

edit: wikipedia seems to agree with me: The standard is maintained by X3/INCITS committee T13. Many synonyms and near-synonyms for ATA exist, including abbreviations such as IDE and ATAPI. Also, with the market introduction of Serial ATA in 2003, the original ATA was retroactively renamed Parallel ATA (PATA).

That's a mistake on my part then, the drive is in fact IDE, thought PATA and IDE were the same.

edit: wikipedia seems to agree with me: The standard is maintained by X3/INCITS committee T13. Many synonyms and near-synonyms for ATA exist, including abbreviations such as IDE and ATAPI. Also, with the market introduction of Serial ATA in 2003, the original ATA was retroactively renamed Parallel ATA (PATA).

It didn't work using GRUB either, it gives an error: Booter not found. seems like the Mac equivalent of Windows' boot.ini is missing, since the MBR contains GRUB. but if my drive controller wasn't supported by OSx86, wouldn't it at least try to load the kernel, but panic in trying?