IOPCIMatch: DON'T do masking with &0x0000ffff!

4 posts in this topic

While editing your .kext's Info.plist, NEVER EVER put anything like e.g. 0x000010de&0x0000ffff inside the IOPCIMatch. Always directly enter your device ID.

This I have painfully learned while trying to setup QE/CI and Natit Dualhead support for my GF6500. The so-called "original" GeForce.kext is one of those where someone thougt a "nVidia-match-all" would be easier than collecting the real hardware IDs. It had that catch-all mask described above in it which always caused kernel panics until I put the real ID there.

The reason for those panics: I have an nForce4 system and the bitmask told the .kext "bind to anything from nVidia". This cannot work in a machine full of nVidia devices!

So if you ever encounter any kernel panics with those extensions that have to be modified to match your device, check that it does not contain a bit mask like the one described above.

To the developers: Better check if any of the .kexts you distribute contains such a bitmask and remove them ASAP! You are causing unneccessary headache for the casual mac hacker!

This is very old news, and the people who put that there is apple themselves. the trick of removing all your Ge* & NV* kexts in order to boot an nForce board is well documented on this forum and elsewhere, it might be wise to read before posting.

Despite reading here for DAYS and searching for my errors, this has not come to my attention. So I posted it here hoping somebody will find this.

Even if that mask comes from apple themselves, tell me why those who bundle the .kexts for installation don't fix this issue?