Internet Stops Working After Install

igotpop

5 posts in this topic

Hi, i have a prescott 3.4 2.5 gigs ram optiplex with onboard ethernet card. I installed 10.4.8 JaS and followed instructions in wiki to get onboard ethernet working. It works fine and i haev internet running until i restart the computer after which i get an error saying that AppleBCMIntel.kext cannot be used. Then the internet just then stops working. I have to redo the instructions and copy in the patched kext file everytime i restart to use the internet. Does someone know of a workaroudn for this? Thnx in advance

Guest Ramm

Did you repair permissions?

in terminal, do

diskutil repairPermissions XXXX

where xxxx == your disk identifier.

To figure your disks' ident., do

diskutil list

• 1 month later...

well anyways i fixed this problem myself by writing a 2 line applescript code that repeats the installation steps at startup. if anyone else has the same problem ive attached my script, just change "yourpassword" to your password and replace 00:00:00:00:00:00 with your actual MAC address. save as an application and set it up to run at startup using account settings in system prefenences, and you're good to go.

Ethernet1.zip

when using unofficial/modified kexts, sometimes the system can't guess the appropiate permissions, repair them manually.

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCMIntel.kext; sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCMIntel.kext; sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.*