OS X Reinstall

Данчо

2 posts in this topic

Hi,

It looks like I have the common problem: after installing the latest updates from apple, my OS X wouldn't start. Vista however starts fine, and the scan on the Macintosh HD shows errors (using the MacDrive disk scanner). I also booted from the OS X install CD's and ran the disk repair tool. It showed that the leaf record count was invalid, the index key was invalid, and the program failed to rebuild the catalog B-tree. I was told that DiskWarrior might help, however I can only run it under OS X, and I don't have a bootable DiskWarrior CD.

Fortunately, I was able to recover all of my data on the Macintosh HD, although OS X still would not start. I am new with macs, and now I am considering reinstalling the OS X, however I am not sure if the Windows partition will be preserved? Would it be possible to reinstall OS X without formatting Macintosh HD and leaving the Windows partition still bootable and fully functional?

Also, if you know the procidure, could you give me some guidelines I could follow? Thanks guys!

Hi,

It looks like I have the common problem: after installing the latest updates from apple, my OS X wouldn't start. Vista however starts fine, and the scan on the Macintosh HD shows errors (using the MacDrive disk scanner). I also booted from the OS X install CD's and ran the disk repair tool. It showed that the leaf record count was invalid, the index key was invalid, and the program failed to rebuild the catalog B-tree. I was told that DiskWarrior might help, however I can only run it under OS X, and I don't have a bootable DiskWarrior CD.

Fortunately, I was able to recover all of my data on the Macintosh HD, although OS X still would not start. I am new with macs, and now I am considering reinstalling the OS X, however I am not sure if the Windows partition will be preserved? Would it be possible to reinstall OS X without formatting Macintosh HD and leaving the Windows partition still bootable and fully functional?

Also, if you know the procidure, could you give me some guidelines I could follow? Thanks guys!

You could try a couple of things...

1) get a LiveDVD (search Kismac) from the usual sources...then add TechTool Pro 4 or DW to the applications folder of the Live DVD, burnt it, then start your comp with the DVD and attempt to repair it with either tool (DW might screw with your boot sectors though)

2) can you start up with a OSX install disc in the drive? Simply let it count down from 10 to zero and see if it boots from the disc or the drive. If it boots from the drive, try finding the tools I mentioned previously and fixing with those..

3) you could completely re-install (which is not a bad option since you've saved all your data). That should not mess with your XP partition as long as you don't repartition your drive, simply erase you're old OSX partition.

Best of luck!

K