A guide for mimicking OSX looks on Linux (Gnome)

DarkCarnival

5 posts in this topic

osx-look.png

Motivations for having a look-alike instead of the real thing

OSX is arguably a thing of beauty to look at and I must admit that I'm somewhat envious of the consistency and looks of the Mac OS. However, I don't believe the system itself is worth much for me as Linux is better for server-behaviour and Mac OSX is pretty much a leech in terms of open-source applications (Wine, Mono etc).

Most of all I hate the fact that the hardware support is crappy (face it, that's why you can't build your own computer, they simply hate to expose the lack of support!)

Aaaanyway.. That's a sidestep. Linux often looks a little bit ugly and so a guy has tried to address it and wrote an excellent guide which is hosted on his personal blog:

Lauri Taimila's Website - Linux desktop imitating OSX

So now one can have a somewhat OSX-like desktop and retain the advantages of Linux :whistle:

The guide itself is written with Ubuntu in mind (which is probably the most popular distro now anyway) but with a bit of elbow grease this should be applicable for most distros.

One thing though, he's unsure as to whether or not he can release a set of OSX icons and so I took the liberty of digging up a set:

OsX_MoD Icon Set

Personally I have a few problems with some of the steps (mostly because I'm on Debian Testing) but if someone manages to follow the guide through then you'll have a neat desktop !

EDIT: Just to avoid any misconceptions, once more. This is *not* my doing, but that of Lauri Taimila. And yes, it looks quite good :)

I am extremely impressed. I have never seen such a well done OS X look-alike theme for Linux. It's actually so good, that it nearly fooled me into thinking that was OS X!

Congrats :(

This can easily be done with something like ksmoothdock, OSX icon set from kde-look.org, baghira theme (You can use a beryl/emerald them too). There is also a way to make kde use a menubar with no third party apps. Just set your comp type in kcontrol to macintosh.